Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"As dim as a NAAFI candle"

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: "As dim as a NAAFI candle"

To be fair never had a issue with those on a Mini, the Morris 1100 on the other hand... a real pain in the proverbial as was the hydrolastic suspension beloved by BMC, nightmare. 😲

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

That hydrolastic suspension was a brilliant idea,  but like most of BMC / British Leyland / Rover group brilliant ideas was cheaply implemented and unreliable - They had some brilliant engineers but some very keen  accountants and a 'jobs for life' workforce who could be uncontrollable...

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

All the decent old fashioned scrapyards near me have long since closed & the land has housing on now.

One yard one of my friends knew the gaffer so when we visited we didnt have to que up for a hi viz ( I've got plenty via work ) or a chaperone, we just had to let the gaffer know we where on site & we where then free to wander about unsupervised.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@billnotben wrote:

Now just to see how long it lasts.

After overnight rain the foggyness returned to some degree. A clear clean looking foggyness if that makes sense.

Ah well, the occasional wipe is cheaper than replacing and it's still a good pre mot fix.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@wotsup wrote:

That hydrolastic suspension was a brilliant idea,  but like most of BMC / British Leyland / Rover group brilliant ideas was cheaply implemented and unreliable - They had some brilliant engineers but some very keen  accountants and a 'jobs for life' workforce who could be uncontrollable...

Subframes were also a nightmare....prone to rust and a devil to change.

Coming back to headlights the WD40 trick was as @billnotben  describes, good enough to last the day to get through the mot but that was in...tbh I think these was some discolouring on the inside of the lens...and nothing was going to shift that.

Price of new headlights on eBay was eye watering...guess the car was not worth much more...problem solved..now have another car...lens look like glass....6 year old car and not a blemish on them.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

I'd all but forgotten about those sub frames as indeed, they did rust big time.

The 1100 had a front and rear subframe I'm sure, and I replaced a rear one some time back in the 60s which is why I had so much trouble with that hydrolastic suspension. Much easier was replacing one on one of the 2CV's we had including the entire floor pan. Great fun at the time, but never again even if I was able.

As for my 2006 Fiesta, that goes in on Wednesday for front wheel bearings and maybe to get those headlights done professionally. Also mulling over what to do should the old girl run out of puff now that she's done around 140,000 miles. At around £1000 I guess, is it worth putting a reconditioned engine in her should the need arise?

Could buy a fairly new car by pushing a bit of money and equity around, but with electric cars on the horizon and new petrol car sales dropping by the day...  

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Minivanman 

At that age and mileage I would keep my money in my pocket rather than pay around a grand for a reconditioned engine.

You can become very attached to a car you like and have used for years but my personal experience with cars of that age and mileage is that once you replace some expensive item it’s not long before something else goes and at some point you look back and realise you should have got rid of it in the first place.

I have never purchased a second hand car from a main dealer but the wife was looking for another car, current car was 16 years old and had a few problems....looking at a 3 year old Yaris said it was above our money limit....asked what we wanted for old car..my opinion it was worth £200 -£300 max......said we have no idea what it’s worth.....came back after talk with his manager....we will give you £1200 for it in part exchange....lucky I kept my mouth shut.

Of course they would still be making a good profit on the car we bought but I got to thinking afterwards do the government have some scrappage system where dealers get money for old cars due to reducing pollution.

I am sure I read something about that somewhere.

Point is there may be no loss in a visit to a few main dealers just to check out what’s on offer...new car sales are down again this year so they are under pressure for sales.

Never would I have ever thought of suggesting to someone to buy from a main dealer but this is one instance I did not take my own advice.....Mrs well suited with the car.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

@Minivanman 

Dump the old girl..... ( no ... not the missus... ! .. )  if you can afford it... get a "decent" 3yr old, 2nd hand car from a main dealership...

I bought my latest SKODA from the main Skoda dealer, despite having reservations about them ripping me off... the sales part went without a hitch, and I did find a couple of problems  , door mirrors would not adjust from the interior control... The Diesel Particulate Filter light kept on coming on, and a slight problem with the brakes...  all dealt with under their warranty within the first 3 months.. since then I have had no  problems, and have had some very enjoyable motoring for the past 5 years..

Incidentally,.... why do taxi drivers buy Skoda ? because they are comfortable, and economical...

another thing,.... in a  recent survey it was found that Skoda Drivers, and their passengers, are more tolerant than any others on the road.. and less likely to get into a "road rage" situation...

So... GO Skoda. ! ... and start to enjoy life,

Happy Motoring ! ! !...

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

4 members of my family have had Skoda cars ( recent models ) and had enough problems with them to say 'enough is enough' and go back to Japanese after a short time.  Skoda and VW / Audi cars in general are too complicated for their own good. my brother had a brake pedal switch go wonky and it kept bringing up an engine fault light and stopped his cruise control from working - he had to google the probem as main dealer hadn't got a clue, many trips to the dealers failed to find the right part,  in the end he got the proper one from an independent garage for a fraction of the price and all good,  also central locking would not work in cold weather - now has a Honda Civic, Other brother had an 18 month old Octavia and battery would go flat overnight at frequent but random intervals, battery was replaced under warranty -  problem still there - random bits changed by dealer, no better - in the end he traded it in for a Suzuki 1.4 boosterjet Vitara with AWD - much better car and zero problems..  German cars are living on past reputation and they are not that reliable these days.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@shutter 

I hear you with regards to main dealerships.

We bought our Fiesta from a long standing Ford main dealer and sure we might have paid more, but their reputation was worth the extra. Not always the case I know but better that than some fly by night 'Arthur Daley' who could not give two hoots once the car had left their forecourt and yes, I have been there. 

She's still going at least for the moment and I know our local one man band mechanic is honest enough to tell me when to call it a day and pull the proverbial.

And Skoda? Never really fancied them m'self but our next door neighbour swears by them so...

Highlighted
Community Veteran

I can never understand car manufacturers, they bring out a model that sells well, gets good reviews and is liked by the owners, a bit later a new version becomes available and it’s just the opposite with all sorts of issues....I suspect it might be about profit...can some firm make a part cheaper than the one currently used....sure it works the same....but for how long.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Minivanman 

You don’t live next door to @shutter by any chance ?
🤔

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

Not unless his estate in Yorkshire extends all the way to south west Wales! 😂

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@gleneagles wrote:

I can never understand car manufacturers, they bring out a model that sells well, gets good reviews and is liked by the owners, a bit later a new version becomes available and it’s just the opposite with all sorts of issues.

The way I understand it designers and engineers come up with and oversea the making of a perfectly functioning device. Whatever that maybe. Somewhere down the line accountants get together with the manufacturers and remove parts they considers superfluous with the remaining parts shaved down to barely functional.

As newer models come out they may look good but whatevers under the casing / bonnet ain't what it used to be.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Minivanman wrote:

... his estate in Yorkshire ...

I think his estate is in Hampshire (Portsmouth area), dunno whether his Skoda is an estate though ... Undecided