Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"As dim as a NAAFI candle"

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: "As dim as a NAAFI candle"

If it is very temporary like the youtube page suggests I wonder if there is any way to prolong the effect, wax over it perhaps.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

WD40... and breaking news update. 😃

Finally got round to having a go with cleaning those headlights and sorry to say it made no visible difference.

Car booked in for wheel bearing replacement on the 6th of next month - days are long gone when I'd tackle such jobs m'self, and I'll also get those headlights professionally cleaned as well while I'm at it.

Onwards and upwards, and at something like 140,000 miles and counting hopefully the old girl will make it through yet another year but hey, you never know, Uncle Ernie might come to the rescue.

Stranger things have happened. 

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
Highlighted
Community Veteran

I gave it a go and the result was surprisingly good. Pretty close to the video. Tried waxing over it but there was a noticeable return of foggyness.

So I re-oiled it. Now just to see how long it lasts.

Either way a definite thing for me to do just before the MOT.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good afternoon Minivanman 

Uncle Ernie might come to the rescue.

I would not hold my breath unless you actually have an Uncle Ernest

Brian A

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

Finally got round to having a go with cleaning those headlights and sorry to say it made no visible difference.

I wonder why it seems to work on mine and not on yours.

Who knows maybe the crazing effect is under the surface like we suspect and all buffing I did previously "unsealed" the surface and allowed the oil to penetrate.

Or more than likely it depends on the make up of the probable cheap Chinese recycled plastic.

I always thought it only affected older cars but I've now noticed some fogging on cars only a few years old.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@billnotben 

It is a puzzle as like y'self I did try cleaning them and with some abrasive cream I bought which had been made specifically for that purpose. Slightly better, but not worth the expense, the effort... or the elbow grease. 😛

Different kind of plastic? Maybe. 

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Whatever the plastic one things for sure.

We have the wrong plastic.☹️

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

This is a classic case of 'an ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure' ( a metric version with grams and tonnes is available ) - the prevention involves regular ( every month or so ) cleaning of headlight plastic with something like AutoGlym super resin polish to gently clean off the film of petrol and diesel fumes that attack the plastic under the influence of UV radiation and leave a film of wax behind to add UV protection and discourage the build up of further crud.  Been doing it for years on cars, and it works....

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 42

I had that problem with my previous skoda   .... I solved it by purchasing a new pair of headlights on Ebay... I think they were £60 for the pair,.Incl delivery..... ...and I sold the old ones on Ebay a week after, for £30.+ p&p...so well worth it  ! !

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@wotsup 

Indeed and good thinking on your part, but I would suggest that many of us (especially those of senior years like myself) have failed to appreciate that headights are no longer made of glass. Sure we wipe 'em over just as we've always done, but to clean them in the manner you describe?   

@shutter 

Yeh, though about that - a previously quick check gave a new pair of headlights for my 2006 Fiesta as costing about £100. If anybody knows of somewhere cheaper then I'm all ears. 🙂  

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Shame the old scrap yards with their piled up cars are no longer around.

You only had to pay for what you carried in your arms. What was in your pockets was free.

My old scrappies never bothered about bulbs, nuts & bolts, and other pocketable items.

Their vast expanses of oily mud has been replaced with fancy building estates and sheltered accommodation.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 42

@billnotben  Not around here.... there are three "thriving" scrap yards within 10 mile radius of where I live.... all very "business-like" now... got a reception room, with some old sofa`s and comfy arm chairs... ( gotta be leatherette, though in case of greasy mechanics coming around for parts) . usually got a decent coffee/tea/cold drink machine and one even has a fresh sarnie machine.. ( topped up daily, apparently) .

You can phone up and ask them about the part you need... they tell you if they have that part on the shelf or on the car... then you make an appointment to go and pick it up...at the service/parts counter... if it is not on the shelf... they have to get it from the car for you... as customers are not allowed in the yard proper, due to health and safety regs.... ( understandable since someone was crushed when a car fell on them ) .. so you sit around and wait in comfort...

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Not quite the same as those of old. There's one like yours several miles from me. The last time I went there you had to tell them what you wanted and they would tell where what row etc. Then you often had to wait for a hi vis vest to become available before you were allowed into the yard proper. They only had so many vests because they only allowed a certain number in the yard at a time.

In the old type yards the fun was in looking just to see what else you could find and see.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

I find it hard to imagine how they have kept going in any form

Most folks would rather buy new these days given how easy it is to bypass those overpriced main dealers and find the part you want online. I know when I was looking for new air filter for my Fiesta, the main Ford dealer wanted three times the amount I paid for one online for the exact same thing. Was it really the same I hear you ask... well a close comparison with the original when the new one arrived and I could find no difference and yes, I do know the Chinese are rather good at knocking out copies. 

Rummaging around a scrap yard of any description is fun better left in the past - unless of course you are looking for a drive shaft coupling for a 1966 Minivan. 😛

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@Minivanman wrote:

Rummaging around a scrap yard of any description is fun better left in the past - unless of course you are looking for a drive shaft coupling for a 1966 Minivan. 😛

Those Mini driveshaft couplings with 'U' bolts and the rubber bits in were proper carp !  Modern CV couplings last the life of the car, those British Leyland couplings lasted about 6 months,  but unless really well looked after the cars only lasted 5 years anyway.