Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"As dim as a NAAFI candle"

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: "As dim as a NAAFI candle"

@billnotben 

Wasn't that the case with those Volvos produced in the 60s being far to reliable for their own good. More money to be made with a bit of built in obsolescence than something that just runs forever.

How long did those 1960s and 1970s British built cars last before the collapsed into a pile of rust. Vauxhall seemed to be the worst culprit. 

The man that knows everything knows nothing.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Wasn't there a general problem around that time down to the cheap sheet steel some of the makers were buying?

I'm still surprised how rust free the body of my 2003 Clio is. I've seem Beamers hardly more than a few years old with rusty patches on them.

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Back in the 70s we all saw photos in the papers showing cars stored in fields with no paint protection or rustproofing. Unsurprisingly you could expect an average family car to last up to 3 years before rust appeared....

Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

I was doing some contract work at Vauxhalls Ellsmere Port plant back in the 60s and actually watched as those rusty cars came in and straight to the paint shop. At the time I just assumed stupidly as it turns out that they were treated somehow before being sprayed.

It was not unusual to see those Victors and Crestas get rust bumps after a couple of years even. No wonder you see very few of them now although the little Vauxhall van I had in the early 70s had no sign of rust, ever. Great little gear box but the way, but a bitch of a cable clutch and always paid to carry a spare!

The man that knows everything knows nothing.
Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

They used to like a rusty surface as it helped paint to stick.  Modern cars use electro-zinc plated material ( a thin coat of zinc,  not full hot-dip galvanisation like Volvo used to apply ) below the 'waist' to protect against corrosion and also all the seams are sealed during manufacture to prevent water seeping into them and causing corrosion, Itis rare to see rust in modern cars until 15 5o 20 years  old - and some last a lot longer than that.