cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

quick question....MoT.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

quick question....MoT.

Mot in an hour and just discovered my high level brake lights not working. The normal, side brake lights work.
Will it pass- because I don't have time to get to motor factors and replace all bulbs in array?
18 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: quick question....MoT.

All standard fit lights should be working to design Sad
I've had a similar situation before where a kindly tester replaced the faulty bulb for a small fee and passed the car.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

No... it will fail.... in the same vein.... if you have little side repeater lights on your wing mirrors or wing panels... not working?  FAIL...
sorry..
As an aside....
I failed  (  Roll eyes  ) to spot a brake light not working before I went for mot... was told about it on failure, and to save me going home, replacing the bulb, and re-booking , I opted for the mot station to do the job and give me the pass ticket there and then... cost me £8.00 .. Shocked 
When I looked at the charges on the receipt they charged me £2.50 for the BULB... that cost about 89p in most accessory/supermarkets ... to get to the bulbs, all they had to do was
1.open the boot
2. pull back a section of boot lining.
3. reach in, unclip the bulb holder
4. remove and replace the bulb
5. clip the bulb holder back in place.
6. put boot lining back
7 close the boot...
took me about the same time to type that as it would to do the job....

I had another instance where I had replaced a headlight bulb and at the MOT the headlight alignment was found to be incorrect.
The tester reached for a screwdriver and adjusted the beam alignment and then carried on with the test ending in a pass certificate. Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I had led bubs fitted to my side lights - one mot tester failed them saying they were BLUE - no they were white - next year different tester passed them no issue.
But OP yes it will fail.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

I usually get bulbs changed in my car at my local garage because they are very awkward to do (in the front).  If he does it as part of some other work he's doing he usually adds £2 to th invoice for supplying and fitting the bulb.  If I just pop in and ask him to do it, he usually does it right away and doesn't charge me anything!  We do have 2 cars and always use him for both (and have for a long time), and so do my parents, so that might help!
Phil
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Just to extend the question, in the event of your car failing a MOT how long do you have to get it repaired if you take it from the garage that did the MOT ? As I understand it if you can return the car with the problem sorted then there is no further fee to pay.
The reason I ask is that if it was a light bulb you could easily access it would be cheaper to buy a bulb and do the job yourself.
NB: Always remember to take the old bulb or failed component with you when looking for a new part so a comparison can be made to ensure the fittings are correct.
Fixes: 125

Details on retests can be found on gov.uk
[quote=https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/retests]Bringing your vehicle back to the test centre
Before the end of the next working day
You won’t have to pay again if the vehicle is brought back to the same test centre before the end of the next working day for a partial retest on one or more of the following items only:
    access panels
    battery
    bonnet
    bootlid
    brake pedal antislip
    break glass hammer (Class 5 vehicles only)
    doors (including hinges, catches and pillars)
    door open warning device (Class 5 vehicles only)
    dropsides
    electrical wiring
    emergency exists and signs (Class 5 vehicles only)
    entrance door remote control (Class 5 vehicles only)
    entrance/exit steps (Class 5 vehicles only)
    fuel filler cap
    headlamp cleaning or levelling devices (that doesn’t need a headlamp aim check)
    horn
    lamps (excluding headlamp aim)
    loading door
    main beam ‘tell-tale’
    mirrors
    rear reflectors
    registration plates
    seatbelts (but not anchorages)
    seatbelt load limiter
    seatbelt pre-tensioner
    seats
    sharp edges or projections
    stairs (Class 5 vehicles only)
    steering wheel
    tailboard
    tailgate
    trailer electrical sockets
    towbars (excluding body around anchorage points)
    tyre pressure monitoring system
    vehicle identification number (VIN)
    windscreen and glass
    windscreen wipers
    windscreen washers
    wheels and tyres (excluding motorbikes and motorbikes with sidecar)

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Bloody hell they have changed that, it used to be 10 days to get stuff fixed.
I am booked in on Thursday to get the car mot'ed (not due till end of month) and was working on that to give me time to fix anything.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I get a reminder letter from my MOT station about 3 weeks before it is due... I book in, asap... when I go for the test... if it is 2 weeks before expiry date. I get a new test ticket dated from the expiry date... I think that applies for failure and retest too... ( maybe only at my MOT station )...
Community Veteran

You should get a continuation same as with a licence disc, it should be automatic. Couple of years ago I didn't it was only a few days so I let it ride, but if I had've had the old cert there then I could have argued the toss.
Community Veteran

Free retest is generally at the discretion of the MOT station. Those rules just say when they MUST do it, but many will do it later and/or for more things.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Book a service and MOT at the same place and time - then its their fault.
Might cost a bit more.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Put in for Mot anyway, though knew it would fail on brake lights.
Failed on several little things: one of washer jets not spraying enough water (though there are 2 jets per blade and the other one was ok),
Indicator bulbs were 'wrong colour' ( paint flaked off yellow bulbs),
Emissions ( they think needs a new catalytic converter, but I think need a service so will service and retest first)
And finally one of the anti-roll bar rubber caps is torn.
All in all not too bad for a 15 year old ford galaxy. needed nothing for MoT last year.
Incidentally, MoT  £29.00.  Smiley

Yellow bulbs I now change annually before the test as I've been caught out a couple of times on that one.
I have always serviced my car a few days before the test.