cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with streaming BBC iplayer radio

bertmay
Dabbler

problem with streaming BBC iplayer radio

Please can some on broadband go to the iplayer website, select Radio, then go to radio 4 extra, go to Wednesday 8am, Hancocks half hour, select & see if it plays for more than 5 seconds, then tell me what happened, ie did it play OK.
For the past few days I have not been able to get any radio programme to play in the play again mode, streaming live is OK. All I have been getting is either the programme not starting at all, the pink swirly goes around for a while, then it says the the content is not available, or I don't have enough bandwidth, or the programme starts for about 5 seconds then stops & the pink swirly starts again.
I tried the iplayer diagnostics test & that through up something odd, download speed 6863kbps, streaming speed (1) was 0, streaming speed (2) 6996, streaming speed (3) 6985. Streaming speed (1) has been usual about the same as 2 & 3, never before a 0.
I also did a speed test at broadband.co.uk, result was 6940kbps.
Thanks in advance
Bert
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: problem with streaming BBC iplayer radio

No problem here
Fixes: 47

5 minutes and 50 seconds in and still laughing Grin
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

OK - does http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00m9p2w/Hothouse_Episode_1/ work?
Either as flash or download?
Not for me.

Fixes: 47

Jeremy's link
This Content doesn't seem to be working
Try again later
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
bertmay
Dabbler

I've tried "Dads Army" from yesterday, that does'nt play either.
Bert
prichardson
Grafter

Hi bertmay,
It certainly seams specific to your connection given others seeing it OK, which is also backed up with the speedtest of 0 on test 1.
Checks on your account show the configuration is in working order, however depending on what time of day you use the service, speed restrictions may apply to streaming depending on network demand (though they would not produce what you are seeing here).
Is it always streaming test 1 that gives a 0 result, or may it switch between others streaming tests?
Your connection is pretty stable (though we see you most likely turn your connection off when not in use), so broadband itself doesn't look to be an issue.
What day was the last time you could use the listen again feature, so I can try and correspond this with your account?
bertmay
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies
I have discovered that if I turn my antivirus off, streaming test (1) is returned to what the other tests indicate & Hancocks Half Hour & Dads Army will play OK.
So, a message to Bullguard security me thinks. As the antivirus is updated on a regular basis, something in one of them is blocking the test.
It's all a bit odd to me as streaming live radio or TV works fine, it just affects the play again programmes.
Bert
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

I don't have antivirus.  Smiley
So why does http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00mpnkm/Hothouse_Episode_4/ play, but
Episodes 1,2,3 do not play?
I think the BBC have screwed up somewhere.

bertmay
Dabbler

I've had a web chat to Adrian at Bullguard.
My antivirus is now switched back on but the browsing plugins are now unchecked. The iplayer diagnostic test runs as it should & Hancock plays OK.
My Bullguard version is 12.0.223, Adrian says that version 12.0.224 will be released later today & that will fix the original problem, I hope he is correct. I will then tick all the browsing boxes to make sure it is.
Thanks to all who replied & enjoyed Hancocks Half Hour
Champagne on cornflakes!
Bert
The Hothouse thing did'nt play for me either
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

Good!

prichardson
Grafter

Hi Bert,
Good to hear you have gotten to the root of this.