cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pot...kettle....colour?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

pot...kettle....colour?

Had to smile  Mark Stephens, Mr Assange’s lawyer, said yesterday: “This is the third time people have sought to prejudice the outcome of Julian Assange’s case by leaking information.”
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/sweden/8306348/Rape-case-against-the-WikiLeaks-chie...
Just couldn't make this up
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: pot...kettle....colour?

I still can't get my head around this extradition to the USA for prosecution thing.
If Mr Assange hasn't lived in the USA, ir not a citizen of the USA and was not in the USA when leaking these 'cables' (and who changed the name from documents?) then how on earth has he committed any form of offence that the USA can prosecute him under? - If they've got some stupid law that allows it then how come the rest of us aren't being prosecuted for not paying our road tax and medical insurance too?
If he's ever extradited then thats basically giving the USA free rule over the planet. This whole thing has worrying implications.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

They call it rendition, I believe.
How did all those people end up in Guantánamo Bay - some of those were European citizens.

Community Veteran

Well they're prisoners of war aren't they. In the case of Mr Assange I don't believe he's ever committed an act of war against the USA although their definition of terrorism seems to be anything they see fit to cause them annoyance  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

I'm not sure where the USA comes into this.  I thought the case was about him fighting extradition to Sweden for alleged offences there.
John
julesandsand
Grafter

I think his legal team are arguing that as soon as he's in Sweden the US will apply to the Swedish govt. to extradite him and this is likely (they argue) to be granted.
adie:quote
Community Veteran

We've already handed people over to  the USA for little or no reason at all (thanks to the one way extradition treaty), If we won't send him over the Atlantic, i don't suppose Sweden would.
John
Community Veteran

The US state that the leaked information has been a threat to their national security.  This is why they would like him to be sent there. 
He's not been charged with any offence, yet, in Sweden to they should not have him extradited there until they can produce grounds.
alanb
Grafter

There does seem to be something underhand about Sweden's attempt to extradite somebody who hasn't been charged with an offence of any sort in Sweden. As does their refusal to send someone to the UK question Assange here.
If the yanks are behind this, then I'd suggest they probably don't care if he stays in the UK or goes to Sweden. They probably just want to keep him pinned down, in a country from where they can easily extradite him, until they can trump up some sort of charge to justify extraditing him to the US. The UK or Sweden will both do for that purpose. What they wouldn't want is for Assange to leave the UK, and go back to Australia, which would be obliged to defend him against obvious trumped up charges, or to a country like Venezuela, which would probably be unwilling to extradite him to the US. If the US is behind this, it's beginning to look like they can't find any reason to extradite him - he's been here for nearly two months now.
Community Veteran

Yes, Sweden has been offered a chance to question Assange by sending an official here to do so or to question him by video link.  They have refused both suggestions.
Community Veteran

the charges against julian assange are a put up job because he's embarrassed the yanks.
Community Veteran

Yes but even so, unless he was IN the USA, how can he of broken any of their laws?
randpwar
Grafter

I believe that the US are saying that allowing ‘leaks’ has endangered their security, regardless of where their citizens / military are in the world
Community Veteran

@rendpwar, that's exactly what the US authorities are saying.
Community Veteran

But that isn't the point. I agree he may have endangered their people but HOW can he have broken any laws if he was not in the USA at the time of leaking these documents?
It would be like the british police trying to prosecute you for an offence while living else where. Or the DVLA trying to prosecute citizens of the USA for not paying their road tax - It just doesn't happen because they're not under the same juristiction.
So.. I'll ask again, how on earth could Mr Assange have broken any laws in the USA if he was not there?