postimage at risk

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

postimage at risk

https://blog.postimage.org/2016/10/30/postimage-needs-your-help/

It’s official: Postimage.org is in danger and needs your help. Here’s why:

peta

Who is at fault?

On October 27, 2016, CloudFlare abruptly cut us off from most of their services except DNS for abusing their system. This came as a bit of a surprise, since although we’ve been using one of their cheapest plans for a long time, we had reached an agreement earlier this month that we would be upgrading our account when the next billing cycle started. A couple of Skype calls later we learned the following:

• CloudFlare was very unhappy that the total traffic usage of our project had surpassed a staggering figure of 1.8 petabytes in the last 30 days.
  • The amount of money we had to pay monthly to make them happy again grew after each Skype call as more people in CF got involved in examining our case: $200 became $1000, which in turn became $12k.
  • The sales team was adamant that although CloudFlare did not officially have bandwidth limits, our violation of Section 10 of their terms of service could not be remedied by serving less image traffic and more HTML traffic (although, being an image hosting company, we have no idea how we would pull this one off anyway without blatantly gaming the system), and that at the level of petabytes of data, they would never allow that on a $200/month Business plan.
  • We were officially screwed.

Yesterday they posted https://blog.postimage.org/2016/11/03/v-is-for-victory/

V is for Victory

Thanks to your tremendous efforts and generous donations, the crisis has been averted. The victory belongs to you, our users. Your donations bought us enough time to keep our servers humming while we were figuring out what to do. Your technical expertise allowed us to cut some corners and employ clever tricks. Your connections finally allowed us to establish contact with parties that made a long-term solution affordable. Your emails kept us going on extra-long workdays, because we knew that you were counting on us. We hereby wish to thank everybody who extended their help and advice, and would especially like to mention and recommend the following parties:

• AdvancedHosters for their stellar tech support and for offering great terms for their CDN service
  • SG.GS for their technical expertise and generous bandwidth consumption terms

Also, the following parties readily came to our aid, although our needs did not exactly match their expertise:

• DaciHost for offering us a powerful dedicated server for free
  • Aba-Soft for designing a custom private cloud solution to help us handle the uncached load
  • Greta.io for offering their ingenious peer-2-peer CDN technology

A special thank you goes to every single one of the 159 people who contributed a total of over $1700 of donations via PayPal. This would not be possible without you.

I don't think the future is totally secure and so wouldn't be inclined to rely on it!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: postimage at risk

Worrying as I (like many) rely on postimage and have loads of images hosted there that are used on multiple forums.

Their windows app is also excellent and is one of the most used softwares on my system.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Never used 'em myself, so no loss to me... Smiley

Community Veteran

Thats where you're wrong because you'll no doubt be on a forum somewhere following a topic with images that are hosted on postimage. If it goes offline those images vanish.. and then the thread is an unfollowable mess.

Browni
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 35

Hmmm,

I wonder if this is linked to tinypic.com currently being down?

I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

7up wrote:

Thats where you're wrong because you'll no doubt be on a forum somewhere following a topic with images that are hosted on postimage.

Like I say, I don't use it, other forums I use have a "Don't upload to external sites, upload directly to the forum" rule, thus avoiding disappearing picture syndrome (particularly forums where pictures describe processes of repair, diagnostic and just blogging of something), and if I do have only the option to host images from a web server, I use my own webspace, which unless the hosting company goes bust, will be there for as long as I'm with them, which so far has been about 6 years... Smiley

Community Veteran

Doubt it as postimage is back up having raised a lot of money to pay the bill for the next few weeks.