cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

police dogs left to cook (yet again)

scootie
Grafter

police dogs left to cook (yet again)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8601510/Two-police-dogs-bake-to-death-in-back-of-handlers-car...
why o why, am sure it was only a couple of years ago we had a thread on the same news?
the offender being a trainer and the premises being the met's dog training center makes me feel even more gutted. no excuse being just a handler as in the last case of this kind BUT a TRAINER this time at the training centre with plenty of kennels.
In many jurisdictions the intentional injuring or killing of a police dog is a felony,[1] subjecting the perpetrator to harsher penalties than those in the statutes embodied in local animal cruelty laws,[2] just as an assault on a human police officer is often a more serious offense than the same assault on a non-officer

with that said throw the kennel at those that caused these deaths, police officer, trainer who ever it was.
EDIT. should of read it all first gives the past case details
In February last year Nottinghamshire police dog handler Mark Johnson, 40, who let his two devoted German Shepherds bake to death in the back of his car in July 2009, was given a six-month conditional discharge and fined £2,500 by Magistrates.
PC Johnson escaped prison and was handed a six-month conditional discharge. He returned to the force but is no longer working as a dog handler.
18 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: police dogs left to cook (yet again)

dont think it ws that long ago, severe disiplinary action taken if I remeber
also reported here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13932187
jmd
Grafter

Makes me mad to think that this could happen again with Police! 
scootie
Grafter

makes me wonder how many other dogs suffered the same fate over the weekend, are these stats recorded any where?, guess a lot die and never get reported by the owners all so.
i dont think the pusiment and dection of cruetly to animals is that good in this country, are next door jepo's leave there dogs out 24/7 with a kennel they dont use, which led me during the coldest day of the winter when i saw the short haired dog lay on a wet frozen blanket in the snow next the gate with its back end shaking to call the rspca but i was honest and informed them they had a kennel but had no door flap to stop driving rain and the serve cold wind, they never turned up  Crazy
the way some people treat the dogs on this est is shocking, last dec my labroudour was close to being killed by a rottweller that we came across why walking on the lead and the rot was also on lead but the dumb lady walking the dog didnt care that i had moved off the snow path to allow her plenty of room to control any pulling by her dog.
Instead she just walked towards me my 3 year old daughter and dog saying he was friendly and igonered all my warning to back off, as soon as it was 2 lead lengths away it struck with its force and reached my dogs neck and locked on, all i could do was jump on top of it to pin it down and stop it ragging its head side to side and cause any damage, i was like that for a good 3 mins with my hand under its tounge to stop it using all its jaw force, after 3 mins i shouted to lady  that time was up, in my mind i had a few punch's to chest followed by ripping its front legs apart, luckly it released after a good couple of puchs to chest.
reporting to the dog warden he said as it was dog on dog which i knew was nothing to police the best he could do was follow it up and make case to build on if it happend again to other dogs he could build a case on the basis of allowing cruielty to animals, she still to this day got the thing she can not control, i told her i would train it to the leave command for her but the attidude of the owner would rather belive she has a perfect dog  Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

There's nothing wrong with having dogs live outside of the house provided they are given dry draft free shelter. The owner has to realise the dogs are social pack animals and make sure they have companionship from other dogs. They also need plenty of exercise on a regular basis and fed once a day with a good varied diet so they do not become overweight. Our dog is now 19 years old, still bouncy with a glossy coat. We make sure his old bones have a warm comfortable place to rest.
It is very easy to be anthropomorphising with dogs and regard them as humans, They're not, but they are intelligent social animals and should be treated with respect.
The policeman who left those dogs in the heat was a negligent idiot. I see according to news reports he's allegedly tried to slash his wrists. It makes me wonder if he was ever stable enough to be left in charge of dogs.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Well it gets worse because today on yahoo the handler in the middle of this story tried to jump from a police car and go on the run. He got caught though.
Then it turns out he'd been in the **** in 2004 over the death of another police dog - and they let him have 2 more?
One rule for them, another for the rest of us.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13939439
Police have not named the officer linked to the incident, but confirmed a policeman was found with injuries following the discovery of the dead canines.
It is not known if they were self-inflicted.
The Met Police spokesman added: "The officer was located in Newham borough suffering a hand injury.
"He was taken to an east London hospital as a precaution and is currently receiving medical treatment."
scootie
Grafter

There's nothing wrong with having dogs live outside of the house provided they are given dry draft free shelter

dont dis agree with that , but extreme cold and a short haired medium sized dog is not good, i had no worry for there German shep as there better built to cope with minus 5 day time temps.
and hence why i told the rspca they had one but thought informing them that it had no flap and the fact they have a medium size dog and a German shep the kennel is not of the right size and hence they dont use it, it was cold tho man during that period and esp that day the medium size dog was losing control of muscles and thats the point i said enough is enough an reported them as all other attempts to talk about there dogs barking 24/7 gave no results, even the other next door neighbor  apparently reported them for noise but hey they did listen to the warning for a year
Community Veteran

The officer concerned is Sergeant Ian Craven who is one of the country's most experienced dog trainers.  Sergeant Craven is reported as having slashed his wrists when he heard the news. 
Fixes: 121

Are we all supposed to feel sorry for him now?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I'm not inferring that at all.  Simply presenting a few of the details.
Fixes: 121

Sorry, Artmo, I didn't mean to imply you were.
But the news reporter I heard earlier today did sound very sympathic to him.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Apparently he was at the Olympic site in East London when he made a phone call to raise the alarm.  Seems rather odd to me.  If the dogs were in his car at the training centre in Kent how long were they in there?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

a distance of about 16 miles and journey time of 40 mins - most odd, not time to jump to conclusions
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I don't think the amount of time matters. The last couple of days have been scorchers. He should of been banned from having dogs after the death of the previous one in 2004.
I hope he gets locked up this time but of course being a plod he won't because they're so honest and allowed to make mistakes - unlike the rest of us.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!