Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

parking is fraught with dishonesty

Community Veteran

parking is fraught with dishonesty

this story:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-34220908
is being touted as misbehaviour by "employees", but i'd like to know how these "employees" expect to turn this to their advantage?  they can't be making any money out of it as the tickets issued are in the system.
who do you think benefits?
13 REPLIES
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: parking is fraught with dishonesty

Yep thats one of my local car parks when in town. Shocking, makes you wonder if the attendants get a bonus the more tickets they issue.
CX
Grafter

I can't believe that "management" were stupid enough to believe these images. Did they never notice that the shadows failed to change angle in 3 hours?
Community Veteran

Or that the same cars remain parked around the "offender".
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Where profit is concerned, ignorance is bliss... Grin
nanotm
Pro

the people issuing fines get a bonus for achieving targets of number of fines issued, chances are they unofficially told people to use the time altering feature of the device to fraudulently issue tickets up to or over the rate at which the company gained its bonus, some companies were reportedly granted contracts that offered disproportionally large bonuses for achieving relatively moderate predetermined targets an as incentive for them to employ enough people to capture everything....
until such bonus practices are written out of contracts this sort of thing will continue to happen and the average innocent driver will just keep getting screwed, its also not something limited to private company employees in my area they caught a couple of traffic wardens (council employees) doing it altering time stamps by a few minutes to generate fines when in truth the timed rule was no longer applicable, they got caught out when someone was issued a speeding fine and then a parking fine and the time stamps didn't match up .......subsequent investigation proved 90% of the complained about tickets were indeed issued fraudulently and there was no way to block it from happening
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
itsme
Grafter

Have their handhelds got GPS? If so it's easy to log the UTC from the Satellites.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

If it ain't from the local authorities, it's not a fine, it's an invoice, and you absolutely do not have to pay it:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/private-parking-tickets
So stuff 'em and sue 'em... Cool
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Mayfly
Yep thats one of my local car parks when in town. Shocking, makes you wonder if the attendants get a bonus the more tickets they issue.

According to the story i read the other day, yes they did. I think they were also given targets to meet. Having worked in that industry for a bit, i can tell you that targets and car parking penalties do not mix - you cannot magic up ticketable cars from nowhere (though obviously UKPC did and now have the fraud squad on them for it).
Quote from: itsme
Have their handhelds got GPS? If so it's easy to log the UTC from the Satellites.

Not normally, they're usually bog standard very basic things that don't even have 3G. The idea being that they're worthless if stolen.. of course they're also then a loser to the firm who have no idea what tickets where issued to who etc.
Car parking is a grotty industry.
@twocvbloke... You were right prior to the protection of freedoms bill but when it came in the government attempted to legitimise private companies being able to hold the registered keeper accountable for a contract entered into by someone else - which in itself isn't exactly lawful but the PPCs have become bloodhounds since. ParkingEye and UKPC were two of the biggest aggressors in the business.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro

Except where they are contractors working for the local authorities and wear a uniform defined by them under a pfi contract......
@itsme
They use the same device as most couriers with a slightly different software load, the problem is they don't lock out the ability to change time & date settings manually because changing the battery resets the default time &date and they can't connect to the network until it is reinput.....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: nanotm
They use the same device as most couriers with a slightly different software load, the problem is they don't lock out the ability to change time & date settings manually because changing the battery resets the default time &date and they can't connect to the network until it is reinput.....

Don't confuse heldhand system time and the GPS time.
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm

And you'd know right?
There are many different hand helds out there in use in the parking industry. Many still use the DAP:

Those are very popular because they're basic, extremely robust and run the very popular netapen:

I kid you not, you can throw one of those directly at the ground as hard as you can and it will bounce back up to you thanks to the chunky rubber feet.
netapen was becoming unpopular though as it took hours to compile reports for the back office staff - something which SiDems / SiLog is very good at.. despite being useless for enforcement officers. Oh and yes, SiDem also locks out your ability to change the date and time. So does netapen but netapen CAN be crashed back to the windows desktop.
Many couriers do use 3/4G connected devices for real time tracking of delivery / location. Parking enforcement doesn't really require this and most parking offices are reluctant to purchase this equipment when they can still get away with older basic stuff that's far cheaper.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Whichever way you look at it, it's fraud.
If the company knew about it or encouraged it then they should be closed down as a warning to other companies.
If they did not know or encourage it, for instance by having unrealistic targets or bullying staff then it's down to the individual employee who should get sacked.
Community Veteran

Of course they knew.
I've done this work, I am telling you there is no realistic way to get 20 tickets in a car park per day unless you're using trickery.
People see an attendant walking round and they try to obey the rules - sure the odd few will screw up and get collared and thats the nature of the game but most will try to play nicely.
Council CEOs have car parks and public highways to patrol and even they would struggle to reach 20 penalties on a good day (excluding london) and their car parks are often seen without any enforcement officers (as they're in other places) so there is no way private car parks that are heavily enforced can issue that many tickets.