cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

one up from Purleigh

pierre_pierre
Grafter

one up from Purleigh

A professor of Ancient Language from South west Keith Briggsis doubting Bury St Edmunds as His burial place
he reckons this account http://www.stedmundsbury.gov.uk/sebc/visit/StEdmund.cfm
We do not know the sources used by Herman in 1095 but his addition of a 'Sutton' as the first burial place has aroused much discussion. The site of the martyrdom as reported by Abbo was at a place called Haegelisdun. Hoxne was claimed to be the site in 1101 but 'Hoxne' cannot be derived from Haegelisdun. It is suggested that there were political reasons for the Bishop of East Anglia to make the claim at the time to counter the growing influence of Bury Abbey, which was outside his jurisdiction.
'Hellesdon' (near Norwich) can be derived from 'Haegelisdun' has also been suggested but has no other supporting evidence. 'Sutton' has been equated with Sutton Hoo but there is no other evidence than the name.
In Bradfield St Clare some six miles south of Bury there is an old field name, 'Hellesdon'. This is not too much to go on, but there are other suggestive associations. To the north, there is a group of 'Kingshall' place names, and to the South a 'Sutton' Hall. This grouping of place names, so close to Bury itself, and not far from the winter head quarters of the Danish army at Thetford, is surely worthy of serious consideration.

he also said that the actual nearest translation is Hazeleigh Mound, near Cock Clarks, just north of Purleigh
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Re: one up from Purleigh

A little more info here http://www.hiddenea.com/edmund5.htm
I can't find the exact location of "Hazeleigh Mound" as the area is pretty flat but there are several ancient sites.  Undecided
I have now discovered a couple of footpaths to explore that I didn't know about before  Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the only one I can find is Loddarts Hil on Lodge Road.  Looks like it has some earth works on it
pierre_pierre
Grafter

street view of same