cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

old PlusNET hardware

thesawdust
Grafter

old PlusNET hardware

So what does everyone with old hardware (IF you upgrade)?
I upgraded to FTTC, and now my old ADSL router is my new sky router. (I'm still a plusnet user at parents)
So what's yours doing?  Cheesy
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: old PlusNET hardware

sitting on the shelf behind me with a whole load of computer/telephone/router bits
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I`m still using the Thomson router PlusNet supplied... this is my 3rd from them since I joined ...... way back when... !   Smiley Smiley
thesawdust
Grafter

I have 5 of the same router (TG582n) as before PlusNET i was with BE* and the router would keep restarting when i used fast path so they would send a new one out.  Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Ours was the voyager 105 usb modem. Not a bad little bit of kit but it was a pain when it kept disconnecting at night (it was connected to a 766MHz pentium 3 acting as an ics host). Anyway when it disconnected it then wouldn't manage to reconnect - despite numerous tries. Gave up eventually and went for a router instead. Modem is now in a box in the shed I think..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I think I still have my Voyager 105 somewhere (but I do recall I dismantled it and lost half of the casing).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Erm, my Plusnet hardware's shiny and new, but sat in my desk drawer cos I didn't need it... Grin
First time I ever used ADSL though was the start of 2012 with the former provider, still have that modem but it's a TG582n, soooo, yeah, not exactly something special... Grin
nadger
Rising Star

Was thinking of having a purge on old routers.
Still got usb router that cost me about £100 back in April 2002 from Pipex.
It was green and we affectionately called it The Frog  Smiley
Have always purchased my own routers - currently HH4
Community Veteran

Apart from the voyager modem mentioned above, i've also always sourced my own routers and things. When i hear of others getting their routers free from PN i feel like i've missed out lol
Community Veteran

You have to be a premier customer to get your routers free Wink
I'm on my third PN router and they've all been free Smiley
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

yeah I've got a few of them still in their boxes in a cupboard somewhere....
I had a clear out recently and binned 4 home hubs, the voyager 105 the voyager 255 and a few netgears that I was given by various providers over the years, even found some strange dual ISDN modem, chucked it in a box listing at an auction as untested and got a few quid from some loon /
if I had space I'd probably keep it (it was still boxed after the last home move when I finally got round to opening the last few most of it ended up getting sold, its only been a few years since we moved though......)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

I'm still using my TG585 v8. Did have a newer model from Plusnet and tried a netgear one.
But the old one always connected at a better speed and held a connection longer.
And the wireless, when I switch it on, connects fine to all my devices.
The other ones are boxed in a cupboard.
Community Veteran

I have a drawer with 1/4 dozen Thompson mk2 Frog modems in it, not sure when they'll every be used again or even if they'll be usable when they need to. They're the kind where the drivers upload the firmware to them when you plug them in.
I've got a Netgear DM111P on a shelf which I was using after the Frogs and before fibre, which I'll probably not go back to if I go back to ADSL2, my unlocked HG612 works beautifully in ADSL2+ mode.
Next to the Netgear is the HG612 that BT provided during the install and will be used if I need to troubleshoot my connection, so that my unlocked one can't be blamed.
Current router is a RouterBoard 751G-2HnD reflashed with OpenWRT. Nice little box, 5 gigabit ports and wifi, the WAN port is plugged in to the HG612.
[edit]Just realised my post is woefully off topic as none of my hardware has ever been supplied by Plusnet. My initial ADSL install was 'wires only' as it was back in the day...[/edit]
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

My old plusnet router got chucked into a garden fire.....  it all burnt withing 10 seconds
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran

Quote from: avatastic
not sure when they'll every be used again or even if they'll be usable when they need to.

Yeah I've often had thoughts about hanging onto tech due to that line of thought but to be honest, apart from ADSL2, broadband doesn't seem to be changing at an alarming rate if you ask me and having spare routers about can only be a good thing. That said, 3G connections are a great way of connecting to the web these days but the downside is the bandwidth but even then, '3' do 15Gb per month for a reasonable rate and we struggle to use 5-6Gb most months (if that - I've stopped checking lol). If I'm honest though, you're better off using one small PC as an ICS host and having the rest of the machines on the network having their DNS set to it because the moment your DSL router / modem goes kaput, you can just switch that one machine onto another connection (3G, satellite etc) with minimal fuss while the rest of the network remains unaffected.
Going back to the age of tech though, I still have a cupboard with six computers inside that are all single cored machines, all over ten years old and yet all still usable if you don't want youtube or high end games etc. Most haven't been turned on for years but i kept them for use as dumb terminals - eg a remote connection into a more powerful machine or basic internet access. They could be used in a garage, shed, workshop etc - nothing overly demanding but still serving a purpose that puts them to good use.