Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(old) People Power

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

(old) People Power

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9233459/750-000-pensioners-REFUSING-pay-TV-licence-fee-BBC-...

Good for them.... I hope it works.... and stops the BBC robbing us oldies of our meager pensions.....

Maybe this publicity will increase their numbers to make the BBC U-Turn on the decision.

( fortunately I am entitled to a FREE  ? tv licence... -)

43 REPLIES 43
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: (old) People Power

I hit the 75 mark this time next year and I would definitely refuse to pay. Mrs Minivanman on the other hand would have other ideas of course but as we are in receipt of pension credit we'll be exempt from paying it anyway.

It's a disgrace to be sure.   

We hear the old mantra of course of it "only being 43p a day" or whatever blah blah, but days when there is sweet Fanny Adams on to watch anyway that fact never seems to get a mention and besides, paying for a licence should be a choice and not an obligation that will find you with a criminal record at the moment if you don't.

As it stands there is rarely anything on the BBC that I care to watch, and certainly never ever enough for a whole days 'only' 43p worth!  

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Mayfly
Seasoned Pro

I've just completed a survey that gave them 3/10 for most of the questions. Talking to a couple of friends it seems I was quite generous they only gave them 1/10.

Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 188

In the last few days we have received a letter telling us that if we don't pay up then they will cancel our licence and THEN we will be breaking the law if we watch live TV but don't pay up.

Personally I would hang on until the last minute and then make as much of an issue of paying as I could, but I think that SWMBO is beginning to crack and will pay. Personally I would cancel, never use the IPlayer again and wait for their Gestapo to kick in my door to see if I'm watching live TV.

At least I will have had the satisfaction of holding out 6 months and helped screw up their cash flow. Come August I guess the fun will start again!

How many millions do they pay an ex crisp saleman to talk about 22 grown men kicking a ball around for an hour and a half?

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Baldrick1 

Just a thought re: BBC iplayer.... given that I/we/some of us pay a subscription to Amazon Prime and BBC iplayer is on their platform, why is a television licence still necessary given that in effect I would be paying twice for the same thing.

And why does the spelling of licence change when it become licensing?

We need to know these things. 😋 

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Why are the demonstrators saying that the government, i.e. the taxpayer, should pay?

When is someone going to take the whole TV licence idea to court?  It may have had some merit when the BBC was the only broadcaster, but not when you can get a better service without being forced to pay for it.  Surely it goes against natural justice to be forced to pay a company for a service you never use.

What happened to their recent idea of a £400 p.a. subscription service?  I wouldn't subscribe, and judging by the pricing, they are only expecting two in five licence holder to subscribe, and I think that's being rather optimistic.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Jonpe 

"Surely it goes against natural justice to be forced to pay a company for a service you never use"

Not defending the BBC (as if) but if you don't watch BBC then you are not obliged to pay for it. Whether that means you cannot then have television I really don't know.

Jonpe
Hero

@Minivanman wrote:

@Baldrick1 

And why does the spelling of licence change when it become licensing?

We need to know these things. 😋 

Because licence is a noun and licensing is a form of the verb to license (think advice/advise).  The Yanks use the s in both I believe, and although I haven't checked, I think English now also allows either in both cases.

Jonpe
Hero

@Minivanman, my understanding is that a licence is required to receive or record any broadcast, BBC or otherwise.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Jonpe 

Hmm, not sure about that.

I'd always thought or assumed it was just the BBC after all, that's who gets the money.

Jonpe
Hero

From the TV Licensing website:

The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:

• watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel
  • watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)
  • download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer.
Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 188

@Minivanman wrote:

@Baldrick1 

Just a thought re: BBC iplayer.... given that I/we/some of us pay a subscription to Amazon Prime and BBC iplayer is on their platform, why is a television licence still necessary given that in effect I would be paying twice for the same thing.

I don't think that the BBC is 'on their platform' it's just a link in the same way as is Netflix, Britbox etc.

My understanding is that the 'licence fee' is a tax that has to be paid to watch live  radio and/or TV and historically it is paid to the BBC as originally they were the sole UK broadcaster.

In the old days detector vans could sit outside your home and pick up the old analogue TV line oscillators spraying out EMI to the world. All that's now changed so they have no way of knowing if you are watching live transmited programmes. If you watch BBC or other live programmes on line then I guess that we're back with the old chestnut of copyright infringment and ISPs being made to hand over the details of those 'illegally downloading' data.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

I sort of get that, but it does seem a bit odd all the same.

I remember the old days as well and those vans where they would pick up that line osc and for the 'colour' signal if I remember it right, they would seek to detect that synchronized chroma sub carrier.

All very big brother and all so easily accepted if reluctantly by the majority.

Luzern
Hero

I will admit not having any problem with paying the licence fee, as we need a public system not giving heed to commercial interests. My personal view is that BBC is effectively made a tax collector for HMG, which will not admit to the actuality. Something unpopular, the set another on it.

I agree with the maxim; A principal is liable for the actions of its agent, presently Capita, that has a poor reputation. Who else would take on the massive task acceptably for the BBC?

Ali in all, it would be cheaper , more efficient, and fairer to absorb it in income tax, so those that can pay as part of social responsibility, given a wider meaning than its norm.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Hmm Daily Mail website with even more annoying adverts than the PlusNet Lithium Feedback bug. Is that ever going to be fixed within my life expectancy by the way!?

Yes it is not really a 'license' but a tax. For me a license is something you earn, not just something you pay money for. For an actual license, such as a driving one, of course it involves money but I actually had to do something to get it.

Yes the best part of £160 for what? You can write the answer on a postage stamp.