cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nick, ouch! (the ladies need not concern them selves with this topic)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

nick, ouch! (the ladies need not concern them selves with this topic)

Like many men of my generation since starting shaving at 13 1/2 after being sent home from school with "go and get a shave son" from a teacher I have probably only since missed a handful of days having an early morning shave. Eschewing fashionable trends for "designer stubble" have occasionally tried various electric razors, but never for long always returning to a wet shave, even teaching myself to use an open razor for a while.
But this brings with it the occasional nick and cut. usually treated with a Nix stick. However has anybody else noticed that these are getting increasingly difficult to get hold of? None of my local chemists stock them, the pharmacy in my local Sainsburys  had one which  I purchased a week or two ago but had no plans to order any more!!
So what is the problem with these useful items I wonder. I can imagine that there may be concerns about them being shared I supposed, with the same sort of concerns that surround sharing hypodermic needles etc.
I have though found a source of supply (limited if the available number shown is anything to go by) from of all places Amazon!! so I purchased a couple while I still could.
My dad brought home with him from POW, an alum block -an ice cube sized milky coloured block- that served much the same purpose. We happily shared this for many years with him and my two brothers without any apparent ill-effects. Anyone know if it is still available?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
24 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: nick, ouch! (the ladies need not concern them selves with this topic)

Googles your friend
     Block Of Alum at Amazon
     Low prices on block of alum. Free UK Delivery on Amazon Orders
     Amazon.co.uk is rated
     Rated 4.8 out of 5.0
      (1,698 reviews)
     www.amazon.co.uk
Search Results
     Alum block - what is and how to use an alum block UK
     An Alum Block is a crystal-like stone that is moistened with cold water and gently rubbed over the entire face to act as an antiseptic for razor burn. ...
     www.executive-shaving.co.uk/shavepedia/Alum_Block - Cached - Similar
     Alum Block :: Shaving Accessories :: Shaving Shack
     We've all cut ourselves shaving at some point but how many of us know about the wound constricting properties of the Alum Block? This little block serves to ...
     www.shaving-shack.com/alum-block.html - Cached
     Shopping results for alum block

Alum Block
     £6.69 - The Shaving Shack
     Osma Alum Block
     £6.95 - The Traditional Shaving ...
     Alum Block - Turkish Professional Barber Shop 70 Gram
     £10.50 - SafetyRazors.co.uk
     The Gentleman's Shop Ltd AOS Alum Block
     The Art of Shaving Alum Block is appropriate for all skin types and can be used as an astringent for oily complexions. Directions : After shaving, moisten ...
     www.gentlemans-shop.com › ... › After Shave Treatments - Cached - Similar
     Alum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
     Alum in block form (usually potassium alum) is used as an aftershave, rubbed over the wet, freshly shaved face. Styptic pencils containing aluminium sulfate ...
     en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alum - Cached - Similar
Fixes: 104

I use one made by L'occitaine (sp) it wasn't that cheap, about 12 pounds iirc, but it is quite big and has lasted me 18 months so far and still going Smiley
It's the thing about the way retail is going, they will stock what they can shift and little else beside.
Niché products are getting harder to come by.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

I use a Wilkinson Quattro and fit their Titanium cartridges.  They are excellent and one of the best razors I've used.  Touch wood I've never had a problem with nicks. (fingers crossed)
Fixes: 104

ohhh no, big fan of Gillette Fusion myself, never got on with the Quattro
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I use plastic disposable kind, a pack of 10 (bought in bulk) lasts about 2 months. Nicks, am a bit old fashioned, use tiny piece of toilet tissue dipped in antiseptic.
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've been using http://www.connaughtshaving.com/merkur34c.html for a couple of years now, with these blades: http://www.connaughtshaving.com/crystal.html
Never had a better shave. I suspect they'll sell alum blocks as well. In fact, I bought 50 of those blades when I got the razor and haven't yet had to buy any more and that was before christmas two years ago (maybe 3? I did a blog on the community site that christmas suggesting razors as a present, I'll have a look to confirm the date).
Highly recommended, anyway Smiley
john50
Grafter

Glad I looked at this thread as I always remember as a youngster borrowing my Dads little stick if I nicked myself shaving,
I got one of my own years ago which got lost or thrown away on one of the house moves.
I've never been able to find another and didn't know what it was called and have had a couple of chemists look at me gone out, and  couple more thinking they had been pulled off the market for "health" reasons.
Would you believe I never thought of asking in a "proper" barbers shop, anyway just ordered an alum block off amazon, not as cheap as I remember  Smiley  but there you go.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

only ever had two "wet shaves" in my life..... one I did myself..... just to see what all the fuss was about, .... and what a fuss.... wash face... mix up foamy stuff.... brush it all over.... scrape it off with a very sharp blade.... (whoever thought it to be a "safety razor" when you can`t see the surface for foam)... then wash face again, re-do the bits you missed by repeating the foamy stuff, wash face again, stick bits of toilet paper on the bleeding bits (cuts) [ in case of censorship]....  and then clean the razor, and the sink, and put it all away to do again the next morning....
the second time.... I paid a barber to do the job, with his long cut throat razor.... was quite an experience, but not one I want to repeat...
so I have been using the Rotary Philishave.... initially with 1 rotary head, then two, and now three.... takes much less time,... gives me an adequately close shave, and can be done anywhere, with a re-chargable unit.....
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Shaving foam isn't actually the best thing for softening bristles... hot water is actually better than pretty much anything else to do that. I find it a lot easier if I just shave as soon as I step out of the shower in the morning (though I may well actually get a mirror in the shower and do it in there).
Community Veteran

You forget we've met shutter!! last time I saw you there wasn't a lot of bare flesh to shave with those wonderful sideburns Smiley Smiley Smiley
But seriously, I've never felt "cleanly" shaved with any brand of electric razor, always a fine irritating stubble left, tried what used to be called pre-lectric shave lotion, that didn't work either. No! give me a nice clean refreshing wet shave any day.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I do have an electric shaver (Remington) but don't use it for my main daily shave.
I agree with Shutter though that the best shaves I've ever had are those from a barber.  Unfortunately many barbers don't do shaving now.  One told me they need a separate licence now before they can shave customers.
nadger
Rising Star

It's well over 50 years since I last had a wet shave and I dread to think how much blood there would be if I tried at this late stage in my life  Smiley
I still remember being give a Rolls Razor, by the chaps at work, before I went into the Army in September 1953 - Anyone else remember them ?
Community Veteran

We have a gent's barber shop near here (as opposed to a uni-sex hairdresser that does men's haircuts as a sideline) staffed entirely by women (and very good they are too) all of them will shave, I've never asked if they need a licence to do so (but will next time I'm in there...next week)
They use a type of open razor with a clip in blade...cheating!! I much prefer a "proper" cut-throat that's just been stropped on a leather strop. I still have my granddads Victorian strop hidden away somewhere. It was a hand held one not the hanging flexible type.
It was only about 10/12 years ago I stopped using an "Old Spice" shaving mug and badger hair brush. Always got them as Christmas presents.

Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
I still remember being give a Rolls Razor, Anyone else remember them ?

Yes my dad had one, seem to remember it came with a fitted case that was fitted with a built-in blade strop.
They were made in Cricklewood NW London. We lived in Willesden a couple of miles away. An uncle worked for them.