Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new Scam ?

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

new Scam ?

Just received this email , strange as i dont bank with Barclays. so be careful what you open !
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: new Scam ?

I ignore anything from any so called bank online - even my own! My own bank does have an email address for me but its a disposable address and not my real one. All the emails from my bank tend to come to my main address so needless to say they get ignored.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

A couple of days ago I received an email from my bank asking for my views on my relationship with the bank.
My bank's email address is a .co.uk and a link provided to do a security check was a .com address. Everything else looked genuine.
I forwarded the email to their 'email scams' address and received an acknowledgement stating that it was a scam and thanking me for bringing it to their attention.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I have had two different emails which appeared to come from Barclays.
The text and the graphics looked nearly identical to a genuine Barclays publications,
and I was even addressed by name.
However, one email used an email address which I had only ever used to contact Planet Rock (radio), and the other came from an email address only used for an electronics magazine subscription years ago which has since been repeatedly used by spammers.
I have a separate email address for each Barclays account,  so I am sure the emails were very good fakes.
Thunderclap
Grafter

Quote from: purleigh
I have a separate email address for each Barclays account,  so I am sure the emails were very good fakes.

That's a very good idea. I assign different email accounts for online transactions. I think it's upto 100 email accounts on PlusNet? I also have email accounts that are disposable - ideal for those odd occations where the email field is required but I will never want their newsletter, or the spam.
I wonder where the server for that email's reply was?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Russia  Angry
Steve
Pro

I've had two of these emails so far.
Fixes: 124

I frequently get emails from different banks but rarely from my own (Barclays). But I have a policy where, even if I believe the email to be genuine, I never click on a link or attachment but always enter the URL myself.
This is the same for emails from O2, T-Moble/EE, British Gas and so on.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I frequently get emails claiming to be from different banks but rarely from my own (I'm not saying which one on a public forum).
Quote from: Mav
But I have a policy where, even if I believe the email to be genuine, I never click on a link or attachment but always enter the URL myself.

Exactly the right way to do it.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
RichAllen
Grafter

I used to get loads of these, I always forwarded them to something like phishing@insertnameofbank.com.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

No point forwarding them anywhere, what can the banks do about a site in nigeria or where ever it's based? - not much.
A replacement site will spring up quick enough.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I had one from Nat West Private Bank  apparently from the account of one of their relationship managers. Accurate details of the manager and myself. Checking the html source of the email revealed it was a phishing email. I contacted the guy direct by phone and it was a problem of which  he was already aware.
The crooks are getting a lot smarter.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.

Snippet from an email just in from PayPal.
How do I know this is not a phishing email? Emails from PayPal will always address you by your first and last name

And that information is, of course only known by myself and PayPal Roll eyes
WTF
Grafter

As many have said, not clicking on links in e-mails is absolutely the way to go.  You should also report them as spam though as it will mean that other copies of that mail will be caught by the e-mail providers spam filters.  Have to say that, for several years now, these things have rarely made it into my inbox though I find stacks of them in my junk folder.

I also rarely get them in my inbox.