cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new Iplayer layout

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

new Iplayer layout

What is the fascination with tablet layouts with webs sites lately, this new design just doesn't work for me.  I wish KISS was still used and web designers would think how a site is used, not how flashy they can make it.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
3 REPLIES
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: new Iplayer layout

I totally agree.
It seems that, as with TV documentaries, the aim is to satisfy the creative urges of the maker rather than delivering information in a simple clear way to the viewer.
IanSn
Grafter

There's the vexed issue of producing a site that works across all the platforms (responsive design), from phones, tablets, pads, pods, as well as various sized desktops, not to mention different resolutions.
Its tending to mean that all sites end up looking a bit like the new iPlayer.
Some of the responsive sites are fascinating - if you reduce the size of the browser window they do all sorts of amazing things as it gets smaller. This happens on the iPlayer site, try it! But its not a very good example.
No, not keen on the new iPlayer either.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Gus
What is the fascination with tablet layouts with webs sites lately, this new design just doesn't work for me.   I wish KISS was still used and web designers would think how a site is used, not how flashy they can make it.

read your post and decided to look and urrrgh, iplayer has been touch infected Sad
so another website bites the dust and now operates like rubbish becaone has decided millions of desktop users dont matter Sad
why are so many website developers incapable of making seperate websites for different interfaces?
The problem seems to stem from the fact the current craze seems to be to make interfaces common across devices/operating systems instead of optimising an interface to maintain common practice for the OS its run on.  This to me is wrong, but someone somewhere started this craze and now its spreading like a virus.