Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

moving to virgin cable (sort of)

scootie
Grafter

moving to virgin cable (sort of)

ok guys mop up that spilt brew after seeing my name on this thread  Embarrassed
am not leaving completly as this line will still be as it is but me and my partner are moving out and the area we are going to gets 1.5mb at best on adsl.
Thoe virgin is there offering the 50mb  product and am affraid ive had to make the choice of bandwidth over stable latency, i just cant see my self being able to cope at 1.5mb and defo not on plusnet as if i was to go adsl i would have to go with an isp that dosent traffic manage so that there is enough hours in the day to get things downloaded
pro is no good for me as unlimited has turned me into a bandwidth junkie, gone are the days of BBYW3's massavie usage allwonce fitting my needs.
am not sure if am going to shell out for the 50mb package thoe as the only benfit i see of it from a point of view of being use to 3mb is that last i checked they wasnt any traffic shapping that product, think al go with the 20mb. but i surrpose once am use to 20mb and becomes slow i will be wanting 50mb, curse of being a bloke thoe when tech is involved  Smiley
Feel free to add your horror storys ect, please bare in mind that am moving to there cable and not the BTw product. i know that product is utter pants all ready.
p.s you wont be getting rid of me from the forum that easy thoe  Grin
didnt think it was right to put this in the broad band speed or community area, but feel free to move it to the have you lost your mind section  Crazy
18 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: moving to virgin cable (sort of)

First James now Asbo......the place is falling apart Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
neil3045
Grafter

Dont expect anything in terms of customer support should anything go wrong. There Customer service is abismal to say the least. They have no idea what you are on about at the best of times. I was a virgin adsl cable customer for best part of 2 years and I wouldnt recommend them to my worst enemy. Although I havnt experienced there cable personally, I have nosed around in the cable forum and its almost as pathetic as the adsl. People reporting huge pings, dropped connections, all the usual stuff you'd come to expect from virgin really. Good luck!
scootie
Grafter

like i say strat this line is staying with PN as it is and i will no doubt have a perment VPN set up for ease of trouble shooting all the pc's and connection that will still be here.
hum will the 2mb vpn speed on unlimited be enough  Undecided
scootie
Grafter

cheers neil.
am not blind to there pants rep and network but i feel ive got to grit my teeth and put up with all that just to get at least some useable bandwidth where am moving.
neil3045
Grafter

Virgins problem is they are growing faster than they can handle. When I first joined them I recommended them to everyone because the service was the best you could get in my area for miles. Now they throttle your speeds to hell and as the customer support say 'we dont support gamers' which is funny seeing as they advertise it on there more expensive packages  Undecided anyways like you said you have little choice so just go for it...and pray  Cool

Quote from: neil3045
Virgins problem is they are growing faster than they can handle

That sounds familiar Wink Smiley
scootie
Grafter

Now they throttle your speeds to hell and as the customer support say 'we dont support gamers' which is funny seeing as they advertise it on there more expensive packages 

they havnt met the dog yet  Grin think i will have to change my name from asbo dog to pitbull
they best hope they have a FUP on the use of the CS phone number, i think that one is going to be on my speed dial
Fixes: 105

Quote from: Strat
Quote from: neil3045
Virgins problem is they are growing faster than they can handle

That sounds familiar Wink Smiley

Problems at work Strat Roll eyes
Will Moderate For Thanks

Not exactly what I had in mind but now you mention it..............
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@ASBO DOG, as you may know I am with NTL, the Name Virgin Media is just there face name only, the full name is NTL Cable Group.
NTL's CSC and Technical Support Center stinks, I hate phoning them.
scootie
Grafter

which package you on gary?
neil3045
Grafter

Regardless of whether its a face name or not their service stinks! And if plusnet have started throttling like virgin media *cough* ntl cable group midnight  Grin then god help us! Is there actually a service out there that isnt full to capacity? I did take a look at that fast.co.uk before I signed on with PN and decided there price was high for the usage allowance but their reviews did do them justice in the speed department. Im not a heavy downloader or nothing I just want a half decent psn ping! So lets hope Im lucky with PN!
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: ASBO
which package you on gary?

It was 2mb, but it is now 10mb with the Free upgrade.  
[Edit]
Woops made a Boow Boow.  Embarrassed
scootie
Grafter

any idea what the latency is like when the line caping is not in force compared to when you hit the limit and get capped