cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

microsoft windows

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

microsoft windows

I see that e-bay are advertising keys for sale for various versions of windows with prices ranging from a £5 to £25.
What I want to know is how are they allowed to do this ? Is it legal ? Why would anyone want to sell a legitimate key for this kind of money. Indeed where would they get a genuine key from in the first place ?
If all this is legal then why would anyone want to pay the full price for any windows product ?
Is the selling of keys encouraging theft ?
What are your views on these points ?
27 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: microsoft windows

Post a link to an example you are suspicious of, ideally a UK seller. Wink
Most non-OEM (full retail) Microsoft licences allow for transfer/resale.
And some people actually want out-of-date stuff (e.g. XP).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

from the XP EULA
13. SOFTWARE TRANSFER. Internal. You may move the Software to a different Workstation Computer. After the transfer, you must completely remove the Software from the former Workstation Computer. Transfer to Third Party. The initial user of the Software may make a one-time permanent transfer of this EULA and Software to another end user, provided the initial user retains no copies of the Software. This transfer must include all of the Software (including all component parts, the media and printed materials, any upgrades, this EULA, and, if applicable, the Certificate of Authenticity). The transfer may not be an indirect transfer, such as a consignment. Prior to the transfer, the end user receiving the Software must agree to all the EULA terms.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/eula/home.mspx
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I'm in the process of buying new laptop, need XP as I use "earthworm". No guarantee it will  work with 7 or Vista, not likely to be re-written either , its designed for NT on the windows platform, but kind of works with XP (although occasionally crashes..............which I suppose is kind of to be expected  Cheesy)
Never though of buying from Ebay, @gleneagles, glad you posted, need to look into it, thank you.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

HPsauce.
I Have to be careful here as I must make it clear that the item number shown below that appears on e-bay is only shown as an example of the keys that are being advertised on e-bay and in no way am I suggesting this item is dodgy. I am simply showing it in your request for an example of what I am talking about.
Just paste this number into e-bay & it will take you to the item in question.
N/A

Well, I'd like to know more about this so if anyone finds anything out, do let us know. I just can't see it being legal when you look at the prices they charge for the disks, even OEM.
It is a mystery though as eBay would surely pull the adverts if they were suspicious and possibly illegal.  Huh
Community Veteran

I'd ask the seller where/how they got it, why they don't want it and why it's for sale so cheaply.
I'd also ask exactly what type the key is and how the license allows transfer/sale.
matt_2k34
Grafter

@Journeys
i dont know what earthworm is, but is there a chance that you can run this in a virtual machine? Windows 7 comes with XP Mode (Business and Home Premium IIRC) ... Basically runs windows XP ontop of windows 7, means you can put all your old incompatible software into Win7.
and i agree with HP here, you might find theyve just been 'taking' labels from old machines before being scrapped, which would give them a Serial Number.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Matt_2k34
@Journeys
...Windows 7 comes with XP Mode (Business and Home Premium IIRC)

"Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC, available on Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate " (i.e. not Home Premium)
http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/Virtual-PC/default.aspx
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Quote from: gleneagles
I see that e-bay are advertising keys for sale for various versions of windows with prices ranging from a £5 to £25.

It is for the Microsoft Windows Product Key only it is not for the CD or DVD
Community Veteran

if you have downloaded and installed a trial version of windows 7, this key will enable you to legitimise it and register for updates.
as it is being offered by great ormond street children's hospital, i would reckon it's kosher.
Community Veteran

@Matt_2k34 and AlanF
Thanks for tips on Windows 7, I’ll give it a try. I was looking for a second hand (broken) PC that I could take the licence key from. Have a friendly PC shop on the lookout for me as they deal in scrapped PCs. (Is now ‘Plan B’)
Community Veteran

Quote from: artificer
as it is being offered by great ormond street children's hospital

Read carefully, it isn't!
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
I was looking for a second hand (broken) PC that I could take the licence key from.

Highly unlikely to be legal (or to work). Don't waste your time. Wink
That will almost certainly be an OEM key, legal to use only on the original hardware and probably keyed to only work with that manufacturers own OEM version of Windows.
Community Veteran

@HP  thanks advice appreciated.