cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

memorable week

Community Veteran

memorable week

I thought someone else would have picked up on the few highlights of the last couple of weeks
The Internet is 20 years old
Havent we come a long way from the 2400 speed old dial up modems and the expensive phone calls of the dial up era  when to get a meg down took an hour. Strange though a meg was a lot in those days as most software would run off a 360k floppy now we have more speed but an O/S like Vista is a 4 gig download.
ISP now have to store every email sent for a year

Can you imagine a few years ago if the Post office copied all your letters and stored them there would have been a outrage and Arther Skargil
would have everyone out on strike but now we role over a Police state takes over slowly with no one attempting to stop it. Were will it all end. if the Police think you have done something wrong on the Internet they can take your pc and it could be 2 years before you get it back with all your family pictures etc gone
The driving test is 20 year old
I wonder how many old people like me who passed the old test could pass the new one with the theory etc?
MS are buying out Dell
Will this make these fantastic pcs with no faults as they will be so well tested or is this a major problem were MS will soon rule the world again?
Guess Dell wont be doing many Linux pc's
Your thoughts on this gentlemen and others
6 REPLIES
Euge
Grafter

Re: memorable week

At least, presumably, with the dell thing you will finally be able to take your pc to a shop. With Dell being solely online, there was no where to take falty PC's, I guess you'd have to mail it ?!
Lurker
Grafter

Either mail it, or they come round and fix it, it all depends which support model you go for.
Certainly for some of the kit here, they will have somebody here, on site, within 4 hours of an issue being reported. Those initial 4 hours will also be spent on the phone and using remote access to try and rectify the issue in advance of the engineer arriving (or at least sort out preliminaries so he has to waste less time on site)
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Yep, similar here James.  I think we have a 2 hour response on server callouts and 8 hours on workstations.
Phil
Community Veteran

Quote from: Samuria
The Internet is 20 years old
Havent we come a long way from the 2400 speed old dial up modems and the expensive phone calls of the dial up era 

Well before that - we had Telecom Gold & Prestel
you just dialled into your local PSS X.25 pad at local call rates
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

I thought that MS buying Dell thing was a joke by PC Pro?
itsme
Grafter

The internet is older than 20 years and the wide world web is not yet 20 years according to this timeline