Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lets scrap Nimrod

pierre_pierre
Grafter

lets scrap Nimrod

another stupid ConDem action
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-12294766
Leading military figures have warned that scrapping the £4bn fleet of new RAF Nimrods will create a "massive gap" in British security.
In an open letter to the Daily Telegraph, six ex-defence chiefs said interim measures to fill the gap left by the spy planes "fall far short".
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: lets scrap Nimrod

who cares?  they were an expensive toy that didn't work terribly well and we borrowed the yanks' awacs.  what gives us this huge sense of self-importance that we think we're big enough to need anything more than a militia?  tiny little island butting up to the coast of europe with an overweening sense of its own importance.
we could profitably stop sucking up to the yanks, mind our own business and stop picking fights with folk whove yet to poke us in the eye.
the french must thnk we're the neigbbours friom hell.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: artificer
the french must thnk we're the neigbbours friom hell.

LOL.. or vice versa - they've tried invading us enough times.
Despite being an island we've still been invaded by the romans in the past too Tongue
I do agree we need to stop poking our noses into other nations affairs though.. this country has always been a "Do as we say not as we do" type of place and its not fair on others. We slam developing countries for developing nuclear technology and yet we have numerous nuclear payload delivery systems ourselves.
I don't agree with war but every country does need some form of defense - thats just the way the world works. The UK is shrinking and not just economically. Things are being axed all over the place and they're never replaced once we're out of trouble. The railways are a fine example. There used to once be railways all over the place and now look.. we have a skeleton railway network with more bits being cut off gradually but I guess its ok because now we have the channel tunnel. While thats a big feat its not really improving the transport infrastructure for the rest of the country that lost its links years ago.
The harrier is another. Developed in this country and serving this country reliably for so many years it has been an icon for the UK and sold pretty well over seas even to america and yet we've axed that now too. It's hardly going to do much for us now is it - we won't be selling many of those anymore when we don't even use them ourselves.
The UK is collapsing. It will never be 'Great Britain' again. Everything we once had, stood for and worked for is being wiped out by careless politicians who think the only way to invest in our future is to slash it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
barky
Grafter

a cheaper to run option isn't far away .... the Boeing 737 P8A .... $220M off the shelf
the real madness was keeping the nimrod mr4a programme going
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/27/nimrod_scrappage/
refurbed nimrod seems to have been stuffed with american tech anyway!
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
Leading military figures have warned that scrapping the £4bn fleet of new RAF Nimrods will create a "massive gap" in British security.
No they didn't.  They warned there was a gap that needed filling, they never said the scrapping was responsible for the gap.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I quoted my source (see below), whats yours, the Register is one persons thoughts and the sources are rambled, i.e quoting the cost of nine nimrods against one space shuttle without making it clear
Simon_M
Grafter

" Commissioned in 1993, due to enter service in 2012" pretty much says it all, really.
When was it originally supposed to enter service? Certainly not 19 years after it was commissioned - on to what, if I remember correctly, was an aged airframe even in 1993.
Sadly, because it sounded like a good idea at the time, this project should have been killed off years ago & something more practical put in it's place. All the arguments about retaining skills & capability were & are valid, but unless the thing can be made to work, all become a bit irrelevant.
It's been a sad story from the start.
David_W
Rising Star

Anything Lewis Page writes on The Register, ignore.  He detests the British arms industry and would prefer why buy everything for the army/navy/air-force from the Americans, need a new frigate?  Just buy American, don't buy British!  He's not a journalist by any measure of the word, his opinion pieces are nothing more than blog entries with an anti-British/European slant.
He's the sort of person who who recommend scrapping the Challenger tank for any tank made in the US.  Replacing the SA-80 for any gun made in the US.  Replacing the new aircraft carries with anything made in the US....  I think he had a personal grudge against BAE.