cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lawn mowers

firefly2
Grafter

lawn mowers

can anyone recommend  a lawn mower. have a rotor flymo that is on its last legs but have never been very pleased with it. ...it never filled up the box as the clippings kept blocking the holes at the end and it needed emptying  about three times . live on a corner and the garden is about 75 ft so the lawn will be two thirds of this...bit fidderly as there is a weeping birch in the middle of it ...none of the people have spoken to around here seem over impressed with the ones they have... electric preferably.. thanks  Undecided
23 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: lawn mowers

I suggest one of these. Although I'm afraid it's not electric.
firefly2
Grafter

well thanks a bunch Be3G.... am laughing now.. had to reply before i hit the hay/grass... free milk too can't be bad.. think that a rabbit be more appropriate...[ just the thing my son would say]  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

get a goat.  goats will eat anything, including your clothes, but you'll get milk too, if it's female, of course.
Community Veteran

Your better options are sheep or rabbits, both of which nibble grass down to a  tighter sward. Rabbits however are no good if you have long grass or prefer your lawn to be hole free. There is a bit more paperwork involved with a sheep over a lawnmower, but they are more tasty in the long run Wink.
firefly2
Grafter

thank you all for that in-depth info... great research there...
one son did suggest a bosch  rotary rotak.. he doesn't have that type tho'...anyone out there have one of thoseHuh
think that i will forgo the animals.. they may just wander  off ... Cool
Community Veteran

I have a Flymo Hover Compact and I am very pleased with it.
Loombucket
Grafter

I've got a great lawn mower - called Mrs L.  Wink
I haven't a clue what she uses but every 10 years or so I have to shell out for a new one (mowing machine, not spouse).
(If she reads this I'm in very deep kack...)
Community Veteran

Is she available Sunday afternoon Grin
firefly2
Grafter

my reply hit the hay ...
was asking artmo whether the grass cuttings fill the box before needing emptying Huh my cuttings fly up to one end .. covers slots ,,,then motor cuts... had it for a while .. praps they are better now ..
@ Loombucket..bet that she does all of the garden if you are honest... my hubby was in a wheelchair so had some excuse.. wouldn't have let him loose with the flowers tho' anyway.. they would have been in the bin as weeds... Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: firefly2
my reply hit the hay ...
was asking artmo whether the grass cuttings fill the box before needing emptying Huh my cuttings fly up to one end .. covers slots ,,,then motor cuts... had it for a while .. praps they are better now ..

Hi Firefly2, Yes the grass box fills up reasonably well.  The one I've got has also got an indicator on top to tell you when it's full. 
firefly2
Grafter

will perhaps try another one of those then artmo..  may wait until August bank hols.. sometimes bargains then.. thanks  again..
Loombucket
Grafter

Firefly2, you're dead right.
Mrs L's a member of the "Alan Titchmarsh walks on water" club and won't let me anywhere near the garden - all I do is bankroll the flaming thing.
She does a grand job of it though.  Wink
Community Veteran

would she like to 'holiday' in london to put mine in good shape?
firefly2
Grafter

Loonbucket / women usually do a grand job with everything... we are perfect .. didn't you know that  Huh?
@ artificer.. i could fly down on my broomstick if the pay is right  .. Grin only manage once a fortnight....