Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

latest change to legal system

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

latest change to legal system

just seen on the news that they have revised the time limits making them shorter, so now unless you apply for a job with a school or within the NHS you wont need to declare your conviction after you've been out of prison for a few years,
to me when you combine the numbers of convicts getting early release and the increase in price for employers to conduct CRB checks this seems rather  ludicrous.
it is a criminal offence to knowingly employ a convict in certain roles, yet employers will no longer be able to screen convicts to ensure they comply with the legal requirements (not allowing vulnerable people to come into contact with known convicts)....
surely the needs of the many should outweigh the needs of the few convicts there are, particularly when you consider the vast amounts of support available to ex cons for them to re-enter society and obtain gainful employment.....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
14 REPLIES
randpwar
Grafter

Re: latest change to legal system

I'd love to vote but there is no such word as 'sentance'
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

nanotm
Pro

that's more down to the fact I made the poll immediately after watching the news which carried the story
TORPC
Grafter

I await to see more info to (Dot the I's & Cross the T's) before making an informed decision
nanotm
Pro

i'll be honest my main issue with it is that people like stuart hall will be released having served less than 2 years and wont be required to notify any prospective future employer of the prior conviction meaning they could be back within the same environment where they committer there crime inside of a 5 year window from the date of conviction, now clearly I don't actually mean stuart hall himself (given his age) but anyone who commits a crime is supposed to be shunned by society and forced into a more menial position not able to regain there prior position, although I'm sure plenty of ex-cons will be overjoyed at the changes (making it easier for them to get on with life) but what of those who were damaged by the crime(s), its likely many will still be suffering the after effects for years
yet another immoral change that removes the rights of the majority of ordinary law abiding people and grants them to the minority criminal element of society.....
TORPC
Grafter

I agree
As I have been on the receiving end of a criminal that was never convicted for his crime(s), & the mental scars still haunt me over 30 years later, as I still have the nightmares
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: nanotm
to me when you combine the numbers of convicts getting early release and the increase in price for employers to conduct CRB checks this seems rather  ludicrous.
it is a criminal offence to knowingly employ a convict in certain roles, yet employers will no longer be able to screen convicts to ensure they comply with the legal requirements (not allowing vulnerable people to come into contact with known convicts)....

Many employers require a prospective employee to request and pay for a Basic Disclosure. The Basic show all unspent convictions, which I don't know what they are now but I should imagine that murder convictions have not changed and is for life. It is also against the law to discriminate against someone with spent convictions. In the past 8 years I have paid for 3 searches as agencies also make it a requirement to be on their books and will not accept if over a year old.
If a job require a more thorough search which will include spent convictions, cautions and more then the employer has to request this. http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/disclosureinformation/index.htm
Community Veteran

Never mind with the current Governments intent of abolishing Barristers many more people (guilty or not) will be convicted. Soon it will be "Charged = Go to prison." to save on the Legal Aid funds. Only the very rich will be able to employer lawyers to obtain legal aid.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
nanotm
Pro

indeed, I know someone who worked as a caterer for a contract company that supplies people to schools and businesses as well as using them in the primary kitchen for packaged meals, that individual has a spent (9 months on plea deal) conviction for grooming, his job as a caterer requires only a basic check and that is clean yet he worked day to day at a primary school because the catering staff are not required to undergo enhanced checks.
unsurprisingly he was arrested for kiddy fiddling after about 18 months  and is currently serving a 5 year term, now the catering company has avoided prosecution because they did the required checks which came back clean yet they were totally unaware of this individuals predilection for youngsters, he changed jobs after his original conviction became spent, his former employer was aware of his conviction and took steps to ensure he wasn't employed in areas where he could come into contact with vulnerable people, they however were prevented legally from informing his new employer as were the police, and his CRB came back as clean, now fair does he had to wait 8 years before he was able to get a job in prime hunting grounds which he managed to do, under the new change though he would only have to wait 2 years before going on to re-offend
enhanced checks should be the only check available, if you don't want to be disadvantaged then you shouldn't commit criminal acts end of story !!!
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Never mind with the current Governments intent of abolishing Barristers many more people (guilty or not) will be convicted. Soon it will be "Charged = Go to prison." to save on the Legal Aid funds. Only the very rich will be able to employer lawyers to obtain legal aid.

what intent to getting rid of overpaid underworked buffoons are you referring to ?
oh you mean reducing the amount of free legal aid that's available for non criminal matters, or the limitation on expense that can be claimed by the representative on completion of the trial ?

barristers currently claim anything up to 20k per hour (depending on which one and which court) which is often billed to legal aid budget, however under the changes that amount will be a fixed fee of 5k per week (which is still way over the top) it will also only allow the use of legal aid in criminal matters (so no more frivolous civil actions being launched by criminals over alleged mistreatment that failed to generate a criminal case), no more deportees getting unlimited public money to fight there extradition or deportation orders, (they get one free hearing and will have to finance any appeals on their own)
lawyers and barristers have been screwing the country out of billions in legal aid for almost two decades, the new caps on per case amounts and the limitation to a single civil claim every ten years (*that your not incarcerated for) so no more divorce every year for free nonsense (and there are way to many people that have overused the system for purely to avoid the costs of frivolity)
barristers can cry all they like, once they start paying their fair share of tax on the over hyped prices they charge they might even have a case .......
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm

...overpaid underworked buffoons are you referring to ?

I guess you've research rather than rhetoric to support this claim?
nanotm
Pro

I've seen enough bungling morons tanking cases, to make that assertion, the halfway decent barristers don't work for legal aid unless its a big publicity case
Community Veteran

Point proven.  Smiley
nanotm
Pro

not really, the clever ones always worked for legal aid because they could stipulate there hourly fee without having to argue the toss with some mobster , the problem is they started profiteering and it was driving up the cost of cases which in turn was forcing more plea deals which was diminishing the effectiveness of the entire legal system ....