cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lack of sliced chicken the bird flu outcome?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

lack of sliced chicken the bird flu outcome?

Are supermarkets[Tesco/Asda] trying to pull a fast one and bump chicken slice prices or is there really a shortage increasing the price after the last bird flu out brake?  In the new year I could still buy 500 gram tubs of it, then it changed to 400, then 250 followed quickly by 210.  Now I am having difficulty finding even 200 which have been replaced with 115 gram tubs with only the 125 gram Premium selection chicken slices at double the price.
Getting sick of cheese sandwiches for lunch, I want my chicken back
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: lack of sliced chicken the bird flu outcome?

get some chicken breasts - grill them then slice them yourself - much cheaper
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

if I had a working grill yeah, but I don't and cooking them in the oven costs too much same as the grill would be if it worked.  I am cost cutting by not cooking as much as possible, but that is another thread about energy tariffs.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Or.... buy a whole, fresh cooked, chicken from the deli/supermarket and slice it all up to your requirements... Luverly !.. Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

What about turkey? There still seems to be plenty of that.
As to cold chicken/turkey I can't stand them in a sandwich, or in a pie (hot or cold) other than a curry pie, don't know why but the very thought makes me ill. I love HOT chicken, and can eat cold chicken on its own/with chips etc, but not in a sandwich or pie  Crazy
Community Veteran

Cost of chicken ? 3 for £10 at Tesco (yeuch but better than most of the sliced stuff).
Cost of cooking a chicken ? Bargain on around 2 hours in a 2Kw oven which most seem to be at around 50% element on/off time you'll be using 1Kwh which at around 15p/Kwh isn't excessive
Cost per chicken cooked including energy if you cook all three separately : £3.48
Community Veteran

But then he needs to slice and freeze it in appropriate sizes, and it will not be round  Shocked
Does he have room in his freezer for that much chicken?
Glenn
Grafter

As far as the slices go....it's most likely down to inflation.A lot of companies have been reducing the weight/size/amount of products while charging the same or more to try and hide the higher inflation.
As was suggested buying a whole cooked chicken and slicing it up will costs less, same goes for cooking a chicken in the oven and slicing it up.
I love chicken and turkey in sarnies with mayo/garlic mayo and salad...yum.I love a chicken pie as well, but I really love huge chicken breast pieces with mash and veg or with chips...deep fried chicken and chips is amazing too.
Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I've a couple of free-loading chickens out in the garden in the back yard who are eating grain and not laying eggs ... maybe they could help your quest for low cost chicken breasts.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Just been shopping this morning.
Tesco have sliced chicken in both the deli & pre-packed. Starting @ £1/400g for the cheap stuff
Aldi have pre-pack in both cheap & expensive types @<£1/400g
So no shortage in the Borders.