cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

kwik-fit problems

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

kwik-fit problems

6 weeks ago I got KF to fit a new wheel bearing to my car. At the time the abs light stayed on and I complained, I was told that it would need to be checked using the diag tool and nothing else. 2 weeks ago I found it was LOOSE and got them to tighten it again.
On Monday I put it in for an mot and guess what abs light on = FAIL. This was NEVER mentioned by them on the previous 2 visits.
So on Tuesday the diag the fault as the sensor (or possibly the wheel bearing was the wrong one  Tongue) and will have to order the parts.
Parts arrive on Thursday and are fitted (BOTH new wb and sensor), can't mot it as tester is not present.
Friday I finally get it moted and am presented with a bill for £45 for the sensor. Now the cost of this was NEVER mentioned, going against what they have as their 10 good reasons #8 = We will quote the fitted price BEFORE the work is carried out.
I have complained using their on-line comment form, but is there anything else I can do? I feel that they fitted the wrong wb 6 weeks ago and it damaged the sensor resulting in my having to shell out £45 for a new one, I am basing this on the fact that I have never heard of a wb that needs tightened after only 4 weeks if at all. At the time he said it "slipped on" and my drive shaft might need replaced, but if it was the wrong model?Huh
If they had told me it was going to be £45 I would have gotten a second hand one (~£10) and fitted it myself not a big job, but if the wb was faulty my replacement would have failed quickly.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: kwik-fit problems

IF they've got a promise thing that says they'll tell you the cost first then you have good grounds to complain IMO. Proving it however could be tricky but ringing the customer services dept might help.
My local KF were always very good (odd considering their reputation) until I had a problem with a battery I bought from them once. I went to see the manager who was always extremely helpful and basically got told that keeping it on the floor in a centrally heated house was bad for it because it would be cold... despite the metal (temperature conducting) engine bay in the middle of winter being even worse. On those grounds he wouldn't honor my warranty. Where else would you keep a knackered battery if not on the floor somewhere? - the loft? Shelf above the TV? I think not.
I've never been back since.  Angry
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Give Trading Standards a call, it's possible that if they contact KF for further details the sum of money (to KF) is so small they might refund it on the basis that negative publicity is not worth that sum of money, remember they have no idea of how far you might take the matter.
Community Veteran

You need to realise the legal system is based on letters, real ones on paper.
Send them a letter detailing what you want to happen and how long you give them to [1] reply and [2] want the work/refund to happen. Stating if none of these happen, you are starting legal action. They have provided an unsatisfactory service, you have statutory rights and you need to ask Citizens Advice for how to proceed.
You need to find the name of the regional director or manager of KF in your location, make sure they get a copy as well as the manager of your local branch.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed