cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

keep dog's under control

scootie
Grafter

keep dog's under control

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23771565-pitbull-savages-womans-guide-dog-at-station....
i hate it when i see such stupid dog handling and lack of any training.
ive been in sittutaion's like this where some ones dog has launched them self's at my 2 dog's and it the only the fact i have a good vocal noise that grabs any dogs attention and the fact i can get my dog's in the down postion in the blink of an eye to get them in to a more submisve postion that no harm has come to my dog's (or should i say there dog as my border colie has that well knowen snappy side of the bred if seriously threatened)
i just hope all the hours that have gone into training the guide dog as a life changing tool for the blind has not effected its abillty to perform this task after such attack, also the effect on the person must be great as having a dog all be it a labrador must of brought an air of saftey when out in public to them and would imagine that saftey net has now gone for them.
all that and probally more just because the dude didnt keep his foot on the lead at the very least.
Hope they catch him and ban him for life from owning dog's
P.S even highland terriers need training and keeping under control, i hear if you dont they are expert food theifs and spend most the day sleeping on the owners sofa  Smiley
7 REPLIES
hadden
Grafter

Re: keep dog's under control

In the whole sequence, it looked more like the dog owned the guy, and knew it.
The guy put on a pathetic performance.
Lurker
Grafter

As distasteful as it might sound - a finger up the rear tends to help pooches like that 'snap out of it' and remember who the pack leader is.
scootie
Grafter

theres only 2 ways really to stop a pit bull terrier type dog mid attack if you only have you hands to use. one you risk losing your hand if you dont get it under the dogs tonuge right and the other involves doing somthing to the front legs but i dont honestly know if i would use that on a dog on dog attack as my view of dogs gone bad tend to be 99% the owners fault for lack of any traing or common sense, but if it was a child attack i would have no second thoughts in end the dogs life by using this method
dont think al be trying that one to see if your fibbing or not james  Grin esp if cctv is watching
Lurker
Grafter

Hehe - I thought that the front legs one was fatal (to the dog) and also requires you to be pretty strong, and be able to get the dog in the right position.
Perhaps a car key or pen might feel less unnatural.
Think of it like kissing your mum open mouthed.
Not sounding great is it, but in an emergency you would certainly do so as artificial respiration to try to save her life.
Just as, you wouldn't do as I suggested as a day-to-day thing, but if it saves you having to punch and kick a dog, and also prevents that dog from molesting another dog, its worth stretching your boundaries a little.
(Its only ok to kiss your mother that way to save her life though - whatever anybody tells you about broadening horizons.)
Wink
Community Veteran

Disgraceful - I hope they identify the dog and its owner.
What is the law on owning pit bull?
hadden
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
What is the law on owning pit bull?

Pit Bull Purchase Act 1863
Section 1.
Any person offering to sell or purchase a dog of type Pit Bull (or variant) must supply written proof, before commencing said transaction, that their IQ is not now, or has at any time been, in excess of 12.
scootie
Grafter

i belive the pit bull is out right banned and has been for years and pit bull crosses i belive are band but its hard for them to say if its pit bull cross or not and they stay in kennels for months on end why its sorted out.
am firm beliver in deed not the breed http://www.deednotbreed.org.uk/
any dog is capable of savage attacks, it just seems the traditinol fighting breeds (before that true working breeds) are mainly owned by those for no care of training there dog in the correct manner and instead want them purely as a status icon. theres many owners of pitbull dogs who train theres right and are better mannered than some peoples untrained labardor's
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_Bull
The American Pit Bull Terrier is the product of interbreeding between terriers and a now-extinct breed of bulldogs to produce a dog that combined the gameness of the terrier with the strength and athleticism of the bulldog. These dogs were initially bred in England, Ireland, and Scotland, and arrived in the United States with immigrants from these countries. In the United States these dogs were used as catch dogs for semi-wild cattle and hogs, to hunt, to drive livestock, and as family companions;[4] however, some were selectively bred for their fighting prowess,[5] and starting in the early 20th century, they began to replace the bull terrier as the "dog of choice" for dog fighting in the United States.[6]

Cesar Millan, otherwise known as The Dog Whisperer owns several pit bulls and uses them as model dogs with which to aid in rehabilitating misbehaved dogs in some circumstances. His most famous and commonly used pit bull, "Daddy", once belonged to rapper Reginald Noble (stage name: Redman).