Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

it may be cold but - Cars with engines running stolen

pierre_pierre
Grafter

it may be cold but - Cars with engines running stolen

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/8427738.stm
Three vehicles left with their engines running to warm up on a frosty morning have been stolen from outside their owners' homes in Essex.

and I think that voids your insurance
17 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: it may be cold but - Cars with engines running stolen

Quote from: pierre_pierre
It would do - also happens a lot at fuel stations.
Most people would have a spare set of keys so why not relock car once started.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

they have got two of the three cars back in Essex.  checked my little car this morning, temp -3,  heated windscreen front and rear, turn heat to screen and door windows, turn on engine, about two minutes, front and rear clear, wind down side windows, they cleared, ready to drive
Community Veteran

It does amaze you people will do. !
And this morning - after about 5cm of snow, lots of parked cars well covered with snow.
A trickle of cars driving carefully -
But what amazes me is the people who just scrape a narrow slot on the front windscreen and then off - with the bonnet and roof still totally covered.
Why not some people may ask - i saw why not once. A car so covered was slowing to a T junction, and clearly the snow had melted near the bodywork. As the car braked, a large mass of snow slid off the roof and completely covered the windscreen, totally blinding the driver - he slammed on brakes, skidded and crashed into a car passing the junction.
I was taught always to have a scraper in the car and clear all the roof, windows, bonnet and boot, and of course the lights and number plates.
jmd
Grafter

I think those folk who just scrape a small amount of snow off their car are really stupid - they could have a crash or they could run into a pedestrian........... also I find myself quite unnerved driving behind such a car in case there is an accident and it involves me because they cannot be bothered to clear their car!
Community Veteran

What about the fairly new door locks that you don't need to put a physical key into a lock / and that includes the ignition.
You have a dongle that only has to be on your person - you walk up to the car, and when only about 2 meters away it unlocks the car - you turn a switch to start the car and off you go.
I don't think you can leave the engine running if you get out.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

For years now on cold, freezing or snowy car starts I've filled a watering can with hot (not boiling) water, and poured it over the car windows, mirrors and lights, keep the wipers on delay wipe (if you've got it, after the ice has been cleared or you'll damage the blades) which will keep the windscreen dry without re-freezing. Never had a problem with it. Get some funny looks though sometimes.
About the only thing I miss from my previous 4 Sierra's and Mondeo's is the heated windscreens. Should be obligatory by law in my opinion, whatever the cost.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

got a smallish bag in my car that has a) snow shovel with three part handle, good for the roof  B) winscreen scraper, C)pair of thinsulate gloves, D)bottle of de icer fluid  D) aly blanket, by small about 5 inched thick then 12x18, It all came  as a kit
Community Veteran

Isn't there a danger of cracking the glass ? if too hot  ?
Community Veteran

No, if its laminated glass, there might be a danger if old fashioned tempered glass. But no mal0z I've never had a problem even with thickly iced screens, but I use hot tap water, nowhere near boiling, where I suspect then there may be a problem.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

My car can be locked with a second key with the engine running - I have done that a couple of times when we've had freezing rain that couldn't be shifted with a scraper.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: nadger
Quote from: pierre_pierre
It would do - also happens a lot at fuel stations.
Most people would have a spare set of keys so why not relock car once started.

My thoughts exactly. Start the car, lock it, leave it. Better still, invest in a wheel clamp so breaking the window will be pointless to a thief.
Quote from: Petlew
For years now on cold, freezing or snowy car starts I've filled a watering can with hot (not boiling) water, and poured it over the car windows

I'll never use hot water as glass can crack when its freezing cold and there is a sudden temperature change. I use luke warm water. By that i mean only very slightly above normal cold tap temperature. It's still a degree or two above 0 and so the ice on the windows still melts away beautifully. No need to go overkill and use hot water. You'll crack a screen one day!
Quote from: Petlew
About the only thing I miss from my previous 4 Sierra's and Mondeo's is the heated windscreens. Should be obligatory by law in my opinion, whatever the cost.

Here here, I agree! Frankly I'm surprised that they're not used on all glass panels in the car - by that I mean rear and sides. It seems a bit pointless having a quick clear windscreen melt the ice away if you still can't see the wing mirrors or blind spots through the windows.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Yes, I recall the Sierra GhiaX (K prefix) I had, switching on the heated screen also switched on heated mirrors, but thats the only one I've had that did that. It was also by far the quickest, it could clear a layer of thin snow and ice in under a minute, best done with the engine running if you didn't want a flat battery.
Legislation was introduced years ago for all rear windows to be fitted with heaters. It would have been much better to have covered front screens instead. I've driven many many vehicles (loaded vans or vans with no rear windows) where you can't even see out the back, let alone worry about whether a rear screen heater is fitted.
However, I do realise front heated screens are dramatically expensive, having have had three replaced (my insurance covers it) but no doubt wider production would bring down the cost a bit. And I do also realise that some people don't like being able to see the fine heating element in the screen, that can in some conditions of bright sunlight cause very minor problems (faint rainbow like colour distortions)

Lurker
Grafter

Some Volvo's sold into the scandinavian market have the option for remote engine start.
Toad (a respected aftermarket car alarm manufacturer) also off such a system.
The car cannot be driven without the key, but you can start the engine remotely.
You simply set the heater before you leave the car in the evening, then next morning press the button to start the car from the comfort of your house.

As an aside though, aren't door mirrors heated at the same time as rear windscreens? On both of our current cars, and every other car I've owned in recent years they have been.
When its icy I drive my wife's car - Ford Fiesta. Electrically heated front screen, and as a small Ford, handles beautifully, even in poor conditions.
Ford cars seem to have good heaters too (regular readers will not be surprised to learn that my car has a dis-satisfactory heater, but then, it is a Renault...)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

well Ford do test their cars at Minus 40 (Take your choice C or F)  the room on the left is a climatic one from -40 to +50C and has a dyno roller, the middle is a cold or hot prechamber  one of several cold rooms at Dunton