Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is it derv or Petroleum?

Highlighted
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: is it derv or Petroleum?

You should replace all the belts wen your car gos for it's main servis, don't wate until it brakes, you could end up bying a new engine, and you don't want that do you!
[Edit]
And don't forget to get the oil changed, and the oil filter at the same time.  Plus change the air filter as well at the same time, and get your brake pads checked at the same time.  With winter coming on it is advisable to put antifreeze in your radiator and your windscreen bottle as well, and check your brake fluid at the same time.
Highlighted
Rising Star

Quote from: okrzynska
I just wish I could get my engine converted to chain drive as my belt is on borrowed time and when it breaks I'm going to be so done for..
Only recall owning one car that had  engine with chain driven camshaft and that was 2ltr Carlton estate I had in the early 80s. I remember it had an oil bath for chain.
Changed cambelt on current car back in March as it was just approaching 5 years old - possibly cheaper to throw car away if it actually broke  Cry
Highlighted
Grafter

its not just belts that break, Going back to 1970 travelling along the Belgium AutoStrada to Ostend, car lost power and went all funny, Works trip, car in Supervisors name, left him there and flew back.  It had a fibre timing gear with metal hub, they moved.  Design changed shortly after that.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

I appreciate that not just belts break but surely cambelts are the doom of modern day cars that use interference engines. Its a stupid design.
I used to be on another forum where one of the fellas said his cambelt came off once on his way home so he just popped the bonnet and put it back on again and continued with his journey. Now you couldn't do that today as the wonderful manufacturers have ensured we'll have an engine rebuild job on our hands instead.
Mine can't even be removed as the bolts have not only seized they've rounded off too. Apparently the entire engine needs to be lifted out to get the bolts out and thats apparently a 10 hour job... just to change a big glorified elastic band!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Rising Star

Only cam belt I've ever had break was on my first ohc engine over 20 years ago - 1.6 Cortina and no actual damage caused to engine.
Been rather paranoid about cam belts since then - hence my annoyance when Vauxhall pulley broke wrecking diesel engine.
I'd imagine that all modern engines are described as " interference" - polite way of saying that if timing belt goes so does your bank balance.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
1.6 Cortina and no actual damage caused to engine.

Actually I think that was the car the person on my other forum was talking about. Apparently if the belt came off the pistons didn't go into a grand smashup like todays engines.
Personally I can't see why they don't fit 2 belts to be on the safe side. If one snaps then you've still got another to get you home until you can get the broken one replaced.
Still I'm just someone who knows nothing compared to the engine building experts..  Cheesy
Highlighted
Rising Star

Personally I can't see why they don't fit 2 belts to be on the safe side. If one snaps then you've still got another to get you home until you can get the broken one replaced.
A couple of points spring to mind.
1) If one belt broke there's every chance it would get tangled up in the other one - cost of keeping them separated would put off most manufacturers.
2) Unless one checked regularly how would one know that one had failed until the 2nd one broke. I suppose they could fit some form of sensor but cost is always a major factor.
I suppose we could bring back ohv engines or, even better, side valves. Anybody else rebuilt an 1172cc side valve Ford engine Crazy
Highlighted
Grafter

Yes
Highlighted
Fixes: 459

1800 ohv straight 4

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 79.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Grafter

how about a Perkins 8.4 litre OHv.V8 diesel, with bent pushrods  went down a hill backwards in first gear
Highlighted
Fixes: 459

No thanks I'm trying to give 'em up Smiley

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 79.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
A couple of points spring to mind.
1) If one belt broke there's every chance it would get tangled up in the other one - cost of keeping them separated would put off most manufacturers.
2) Unless one checked regularly how would one know that one had failed until the 2nd one broke. I suppose they could fit some form of sensor but cost is always a major factor.
I suppose we could bring back ohv engines or, even better, side valves. Anybody else rebuilt an 1172cc side valve Ford engine Crazy

Hmm, I see your points but with todays technology there must be a way. The belt tangling I had thought of but if you had one belt on one side of the engine and the other belt oni the other... or both on the same side but have dividers between them. There IS a way it could be done. Granted I ain't the man to think of it but I'm sure someone out there could think of a method. The 2nd issue I don't see as a problem. There could be a spring loaded roller applied to the belt. when the belt breaks the roller moves forward where the belt used to be and in the process triggers a switch to alert the driver that one of the belts has snapped.
I know if I was to build an engine I'd want it to be as robust as possible. I wouldn't want a cambelt putting the engine at risk unlike the manufacturers today. Of course they benefit on the replacement parts you buy...
I still say chains are the way to go. They stopped using them I'm told because cambelts are quiter... since when does that matter on a diesel? Most petrol cars are far quieter today aswell so I fail really to see the problem. Of course they could always go back to using gears but then the engine would be virtually indestructible and they'd not make any money.... can't have that can we.