Did you mean: 

is it derv or Petroleum?

pierre_pierre
Grafter

is it derv or Petroleum?

26 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: is it derv or Petroleum?

I moved to diesel cars erm 18 years ago - and would never go back to petrol. Nothing to do with cost - just less problems in cold weather etc etc. - and better torque at low revs etc etc. - jeremy Clarkson is just an idiot when talking about diesel engines.
So far - touch wood - I've never put wrong fuel in tank.

198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

A colleague once put the wrong fuel in his firm's van. As his name was Morrison he earned the nickname 'Van'.  Grin
Not young enough to know everything
N/A

Aren't those devices that ones featured on BBC's 'Dragons Den'?
N/A

When I was working I always used diesel cars and this was quite a while before they became commonplace. The reason was because I was doing a fair bit of mileage and lots of stop starts. They were good and reliable but noisy and rattly - not as smooth as modern ones.
I was very glad to get back to petrol, however and find them much quieter. Now we are using LPG which is a real saving, although expensive to convert.
Community Veteran

Frankly I think its shameful that the police can fill their cars with the wrong fuel and get away with it. The police of course meet the repair cost and who pays for that? We do.
Same where I work. We got some rather.... erm how do I put this in a politically correct term... 'scatty' woman who is one of these people who takes nothing seriously. She took the van one day to fill it up with petrol... and its a Diesel. She realised what she'd done and didn't start the motor luckily. Being a public authority they picked up the tab. You'd see these people being far more careful if they knew it was coming out of their wages wouldn't you!
I can't beleive how people can get green and black coloured hoses muddled up. I personally use petrol but the works motors use derv. I ALWAYS tripple check the hose. Once before I pick it up, once after putting the nozzle in the hole and then one more final check that the pump has selected the right price per litre and then I check that the nozzle I don't want is still in place. EG if I'm filling with petrol I check that the derv nozzle is still on the pump and vice versa.
Just wait... now I've said the above....
Personally I dislike derv powered vehicles. I don't like the noise they make, I don't like the rattle they make and I don't like the price of the stuff. I do however like the economy, the power and the reliability of them. I prefer petrol however. Its far smoother, quieter and cheaper. The only reliability issues I've had is the head gasket on one car blew and I also had an engine seizure after an oil pump packed up (FIAT). After that run of bad luck I went with a volvo powered car and touch wood no problems since although the cambelt needs changing. Why don't they use chains anymore?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

cos chains chew the cogs when they fail and belts don't.
nadger
Rising Star

But when belts fail the resultant damage to the top end of the engine can prove rather expensive. Once had a pulley fail on a 1.7D Astra and the only things reusable were 4 valves. The intact cam belt came off and broke head, cam shaft, valve lifter etc etc.
Given the choice I'd run a diesel but,  when I packed in work at 70, finances meant that I could do better buying a petrol car. I only do about 5% of my previous annual mileage so a 40mpg 1350cc petrol car does me fine and I could afford to buy a 4 year old for cash on eBay.
Community Veteran

Quote from: okrzynska
Why don't they use chains anymore?

I think Audi use chains on some of their newer designs.
Denzil
Grafter

I think the main reason belts are used these days is that they are simpler to engineer. They don't need lubrication, for a start.
I drive an old Land Rover, and wouldn't have a petrol one. My diesel does 30mpg as opposed to 16mpg for a petrol.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I work right next to the Old Street Shell garage, and walking back to the office once I saw the consequences of someone filling up with the wrong fuel.
They had started the engine (Transit Van), and managed to get it onto the road, but that was about it.
Amusing (for me) to watch for a lunchtime, but I suspect the people driving the van felt a bit ashamed Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
...  and I could afford to buy a 4 year old for cash on eBay.

I believe that sort of behaviour is illegal.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
pierre_pierre
Grafter

trouble is he has been looking in this window
nadger
Rising Star

Shows how pure my mind is or I'd have worded that more carefully  Cry
Community Veteran

back on topic....
Some manufacturers are switching back to chains again apparently. They've finally picked up that people don't want belt breakages and massive repair bills and that it puts them off buying that brand again. Not only that but cars that are always in for major services are a pain. Cars that just rumble on for years without any major problems are highly sought after.
Personally i think the chain needs a redesign to use small ball bearings to prolong their live. I doubt it will happen but at least making the switch back is a step in the right direction. I just wish I could get my engine converted to chain drive as my belt is on borrowed time and when it breaks I'm going to be so done for..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!