tiddles
Grafter

injured major completes marathon

A wonderful achievement – well done!
If you would like to to make a donation see link below

http://www.philpacker.com/
from the BBC
Injured major completes marathon

An injured soldier who has been walking the London Marathon on crutches, two miles each day, has completed the course after 13 days.
Maj Phil Packer of the Royal Military Police, who lost the use of his legs in a rocket attack in Iraq, began the race with 35,000 others on 26 April.
He finished the event at about 1230 BST on the Mall, where rower Sir Steve Redgrave presented him with his medal.
Maj Packer, 36, hopes to raise £1m for soldiers' charity Help For Heroes.
After completing the course, Maj Packer said: "It feels bitter sweet - I heard the news yesterday that four members of the armed forces were killed in Afghanistan, so I'm thinking about those families.
"I would not be standing here but for the work of the doctors and nurses that have looked after me and the reason for doing this is to raise £1m for them.
"It's not about me - it's about the people who are not walking with me.
"It's very humbling, I'm just a soldier and I'm not used to all this."
The officer, who lives in Westminster, central London, was told he would never walk again after he was injured in Basra in February 2008.
He suffered a bruised heart and damage to his ribs and chest, and lost the motor and sensory use of his legs.
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/england/london/8041374.stm
Published: 2009/05/09 11:51:26 GMT
© BBC MMIX
1 REPLY
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: injured major completes marathon

DONATED
Just for once I'm at a loss for words to express my admiration for this guy, well done.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.