cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iRobot Roomba 581 Vacuum Cleaning Robot

tgr
Grafter

iRobot Roomba 581 Vacuum Cleaning Robot

Has anyone got one of these and if so are they as good as the reviews on amazon make out and is there any drawbacks.  Grateful for any replies before i buy one for the wife for Xmas
Thanks in advance
Gordon
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: iRobot Roomba 581 Vacuum Cleaning Robot

For that kinda money I should hope so!!
Seriously though when I worked for Hoover Ltd testing products, a cleaner of this type (probably not as sophisticated) was looked at but but dropped as it left large areas un-swept in corners, around furniture legs etc. main problem being corners etc. are usually square the cleaner is circular. It was dismissed as a bit of a gimmick. With the proviso, those with very large areas of carpet largely un-cluttered by furniture might like it. But for the usual 10x12 cluttered boxes many live in it was next to useless. 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
jmd
Grafter

A friend of mine has a roomba and loves it....................... she has a very large lounge so it is an ideal space to use it in, and then it heads out into hallway, dining and dining room if door is open.  It gets round furniture no problem but at odd times it will get itself in a corner and has to be rescued - but this is not often.  Upstairs it does the bedrooms and landing and stops neatly at top of stairs before going back into bedroom.  My friend switched it on and left it to do the room when I was there and it was very quiet.
I think it needs large spaces to work effectively.
The dust collection bin is small so needs to be checked and emptied regularly but then many vacuum cleaners have that same problem.
Community Veteran

Well technology does move on.
When I was testing them, they weren't that good, more of a novelty. But this was over 25 years ago.
Judging by jmdlp's comments perhaps it might be Ok for you, pity you can't try it first.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

@tgr
Although its not the actual model to which you refer this might interest you:
http://www.scottycentral.com/reviews/gadgets/irobot-roomba-review/

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Just done a Google for vids.... here is the results page... you may be able to "compare models" ! ! !
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=robot+vacuum+cleaner&tbo=p&tbs=vid%3A1&source=vgc&hl=en&aq=0&oq=rob...
Community Veteran

Hey! I've just had a look at the iRobot web site. Now this is a whole generation away from those that I remember testing (albeit still expensive depending what you compare it with -Dyson are not exactly cheap either for what is basically a collection of plastic mouldings-) with self-docking to recharge, side brushes for corners etc. etc..The reviewer in my first link concludes that for through cleaning at least an upright cleaner will still be needed. But he also mentions that he gets just as much "fun" watching it...thereby defeating the object of owning it Roll eyes

tgr
Grafter

I would like to thank everyone for their help in assessing the Roomba.  Having been through the links and comments  that all of  you posted I have decided I am going to buy one as most of the reviews are positive although there are a few that are negative such as it is a little noisy and sometimes gets stuck and I think we can cope with that.  My wife and I are 71 and I think my wife deserves a rest from hoovering (and no I am not going to do it I shall let the Roomba do it  Cheesy
Community Veteran

Quote from: tgr
I would like to thank everyone for their help in assessing the Roomba.  Having been through the links and comments  that all of  you posted I have decided I am going to buy one

Perhaps you will let us know how you get on with it please.