Fixes: 1

iResign

13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: iResign

iResign.... Very funny, LOL
Community Veteran

I'm not an Apple user but respect what Jobs has done for the industry. 
Apple's stock fell by upwards of $20bn at one time today - guess yo can say it was shaken to the core Wink
David_W
Rising Star

I don't think Job's has really done much for the industry really.  Currently Apple is trying to sue their way through the markets rather than compete as they know that in a few years time they will be in the same situation they were with Mac vs PC's.  Apple don't innovate, they imitate and then sue anyone who dares try the same with them, in all honesty Apple should have been brought up on anti-trust charges many times.  Their share price is heavily over-inflated, they don't pay out to share holders, share holders are holding on in the hope of getting some of that $50b pot and they never will.
All in all, I'd take Bill Gates over Jobs in an instant, when Gates pops his clogs all his money is going to good causes, Gates has also talked other really wealthy people into doing the same so when a few multi-billionaires keel over the world is oddly going to be a better place which sounds really horrible!
What we'll see without Jobs is more of the same, using age old technology and saying "hey, this is new, buy me!".  I did like Job's quote from '96 saying the Desktop market is dead, though I think he recently said that again.  I have no respect for the guy, his legacy is a legal minefield of patents granted where prior art obviously exists, if their designers left the company however, Apple would fall over again.
itsme
Grafter

I very much doubt that if prior art exist a patent would be granted. Have you an example? I know that in the pass they have taken advantage of lapsed patent and I believe the ipod is an example of this.
David_W
Rising Star

There are way too many to find (coff) but the US patent system is a mess.
This one for instance is Apple trying to patent technology which is already available in their app store from competitors as well as available on Android already..
Basically put it's a bully boy technique.  A small company makes an amazing product which they patent, a big company (not just Apple) comes along and patents something similar and then sets their legal dogs onto the smaller company.  The small company can't compete, they can't afford to compete so give in.  Apple tried that against Nokia which was a really bad idea, Nokia won and the Judge dismissed several patents that Apple had.
Another one
Net booting
Yet another - TI OMAP3530 is Prior Art
I have (somewhere) a very very old Palm pad thingy, and Apple were awarded patents for stuff that my old Palm would do, it's just a side effect of the US Patent system granting patents nilly willy.
Fixes: 101

oh dear, oh dear.
now I like apple products and have a few however this from Stephen Fry is outrageous http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/14664694
Will Moderate For Thanks
itsme
Grafter

Completely agree that patents are a complete mess and most of the time it's to stop competition to the detriment to the end user.
The company that I worked for was taken to court in the USA for infringement of at least 2 patents. One of which as the electronic designer fell into my court and it was easy to prove that the device did not infringe the patent. The other the judge dismissed as it was proved that the complainant was aware of prior art and therefore should have not filed the patent.  
Heloman
Grafter

"Husband buys his son an iPAD, daughter an iPOD, himself an iPHONE & his wife
an iRON. She wasn't impressed even after he explained it can be integrated
with the iWASH, iCOOK & iCLEAN network. This triggered the iNAG service,
which totally wiped out the iSHAG function!!"
With acknowledgement to "Flying Nun" who posted this on uk.people.silversurfers NG.  Smiley

David_W
Rising Star

@dvorak - totally agree, and I'm a huge fan of Fry!  If any one person is to be pointed at for Apples success it'll be Jonathan Ive, the designer of the iMac, titanium and aluminum PowerBook G4, G4 Cube, MacBook, unibody MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iPod, iPhone, and iPad (from Wikipedia).
Fry's comments are unfortunately laughable, my comment about Apple falling over if their designers left was directed straight at Ive, it was his design vision, his creativity and such that brought those products out, Fry though, well, so far off the mark the question should be put on QI for him to answer!
Community Veteran

Just wondered
Is the BBC radio 4 program iPM sponsored by Apple?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/ipm/
Community Veteran

In line with Apples product development "strategy" of announcing the new version as soon as the old one is "flagging" here's the solution:
http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2011/08/27/steve-jobs-unveils-new-steve-jobs/
Community Veteran

Can imagine next year financial press headline
“Cook fails to improve Apple turnover”  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Maybe he'll make a pie chart to explain it Roll eyes