cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone Data Extraction

Fixes: 47

iPhone Data Extraction

I am soon going to need an app to enable me to transfer contacts, messages, notes etc from my iPhone 3G to my new HTC.
I've looked at a few 'free' apps but they either didn't export everything I needed or were restricted to half a dozen entries out of hundreds....Touch Copy being one although claiming not too.
I honestly can't see the point of paying tens of pounds for an application I will use once. There must be something out there.
I know that iTunes backs up everything into numerous files which can be deciphered to extract the info.
Any help much appreciated.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: iPhone Data Extraction

Have you got a Gmail account, that ought to sort out the contacts at least?
Just set one up for the task?

No I don't but I have just discovered SQLite Database Browser which allows me to open some of the backup files and dump to CSV.
As an aside it gets me using my knowledge of SQL queries to extract the data in a more useful format.
Contacts and emails etc shouldn't be an issue as I use Outlook 2007 from which the HTC should extract what it needs. It was more the messages and what Apple calls notes.
Fixes: 125

Although this won't help with the initial issue of transferring from the iPhone to the HTC, for future backups and syncing witrh the PC I would recomment MyPhoneExplorer.
HTC sync is an awfully clunky program to use.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Thanks for the 'warning' Mav Smiley
@HPsauce suggestion appreciated and will bear in mind.

Oops, forgot to say that for MyPhoneExplorer to work you'll still need to install HTCSync.
Edit: It's just for the drivers.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

@Mav many thanks for the link to MPE, it so happens that yesterday I was trying to get an oldish Android phone to talk sensibly to ANY of my PC's and failing!
It works a treat.  Grin
It didn't work at first on my main W7x64 system so I went to my Vista (also x64) Ultimate test system where I do most of my smartphone work anyway and it worked fine.
Obviously had to install the drivers and the app on the phone too. Did it via USB (the app won't use bluetooth as my version of Android is too old).
Went back to W7 and got it working this time by using a different USB port; not sure what the difference is but originally I was on an extension cable from a port on the rear - so maybe the port, cable or connectors are dodgy?
matt_2k34
Grafter

i seem to remember software (evernote?) allowed you to install the app (free) on your (free) account, and import your notes off your phone, to your free account (from there) you can export them however you like I believe, perhaps an avenue worth persuing)
Notes can be sync'd with Google Sync Solution #2 Smiley
I honestly can't see the point of paying tens of pounds for an application I will use once

Unfortunately thats the iOS way, and thats why Android market is eating away at its market share... Although i think your mad, Android phones are pretty rancid and the "texting wrong person" debacle i think is a joke (and the fact that google only class it as a medium priority, is also a joke -- and this problem has been around for about 2 years? so yeah..)
Android for Tablet, iOS for mobile Smiley
Messages, i dont think you can extract them? id highly doubt you'd be able to copy them over to your new phone anyway (if that was what you wanted)
Mobiledit is software ive used on many many many old phones (recovering data, reading sims, sending texts via pc etc. etc. which looks like its recently been updated to natively support iphone Smiley
Might be worth a poke at a trial or aquiring a copy to give it a whirl? Smiley
Regards

Quote from: Matt_2k34
I honestly can't see the point of paying tens of pounds for an application I will use once

Unfortunately thats the iOS way

...and that's why I am happy to dump my iPhone 3G in favour of an HTC Sensation and get away from the stranglehold of iTunes Angry
The iPhone is to be inflicted on my daughter hence the requirement to extract all relevant information.
Mobiledit rings a distant bell Undecided
Much appreciated Matt.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
The iPhone is to be inflicted on my daughter hence the requirement to extract all relevant information.

Presumably you know that's it fairly simple to totally wipe/reset before you pass it on.  Undecided
(my technophobic elder son even managed to do it before passing his old iPhone my way, complete with broken touch screen - £5 kit from eBay fixed that!)

@HPsauce I do yes.
BTW I bought MOBILedit after trying out the lite version and it's very good....thanks Smiley
It's not 100% compatible with the iPhone.....but then what is Wink...still it did the job.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Nice one, glad i could help Strat (easy to use isnt it ;-) heh)
Regards
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
I would recomment MyPhoneExplorer.

Just to add to my earlier thanks, having tried this a bit more I've concluded that accessing via WiFi works best for me, it's easy and effective.  Smiley

I've not tried it through Wifi or Bluetooth.
Just tried Wifi and it failed to find the IP address of the phone. Wifi is working as I am currently able to access Android Market.
Can't think at mo what's wrong.
Oops. MyPhoneExplorer wasn't running on the HTC. All's ok now.

Quote from: HPsauce
...before passing his old iPhone my way, complete with broken touch screen - £5 kit from eBay fixed that!)

How easy was it to replace the broken touch screen?
My wife's 3G screen is cracked. I have insurannce through Barclays but they want £25 excess. I have seen new 3G screens on Amazon for under £9.