cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPads at Argos

Fixes: 47

iPads at Argos

I read yesterday that Argos are doing away with printed catalogues and replacing them with iPads.
The process will start with a few stores in and around London, also new build stores and will eventually roll out to the rest of the country.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
26 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: iPads at Argos

Hope those ipads are well secured to the counter otherwise they might have a run on them.  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

"Out of stock"  Cheesy
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Actually our local 'Muckburgers' has had several of these installed for quite a while secured in metal enclosures locked and well secured to the 'furniture', they're popular with kids.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

I wonder if by discontinuing the catalogue they will lose business Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Most children these days, if you ask them what they want for Christmas, you get back a list of console games, mobile phones, and a laptop.
Every year, sometime in October, we give our children the Argos catalogue to browse, to widen their perspective for gift ideas - by them seeing a selection other things they might be interested in.  Being a paper catalogue, they can mark it up with a coloured pens, crossing out things they don't want, highlight things they do, scribble ratings next to each item, and share opinions with their visiting friends, none of which would happen if they sat in front of the Argos website.
So yes, if it is true, then Argos will be losing some of our business if the catalogues are not available.
Community Veteran

I was doing a bit of comparative price shopping last week and have to say Argos was very uncompetitive.

When they replace the catalogue pile near the door with iPads at my local Argos I won't be taking one home as I'm smart and browse their website in the comfort of my own home Smiley
Then I reserve and collect....easy.
Fixes: 125

SWMBO picks up a catalogue every February annd August when she can and it gets flicked through occasionally.
Like Strat, I prefer to browse online then use Click & Collect.
@artmo I don't believe they have been competitive for many years. I used to work for them back in 1978 - lasted a few months before I'd had enough of being treated badly the management at the particular store Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Last thing I bought from them was a watch - prior to that it was my flat screen TV where they were about £100 cheaper than everyone else as they were clearing stock. Used click and collect and got the last one in my area
Community Veteran

Whenever I go Argos I use reserve and collect.
Also, twice I paid at the CC terminal, it went through but no receipt came out cos it had run out of paper.
Was a nightmare getting sorted, but luckly I saw how the staff access the printer test mode.
Now I always use that before paying to avoid that happening again.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Seems daft to me! Why would you use a £500 ipad as a glorified catalogue when you have your own brand of tablet that you could use instead? - Argos have their own I think it's called MyTablet from memory. It clearly can't be that good if they're not even going to use it themselves  Crazy
Secondly it seems a bit OTT to use ipads instore at such a high expense. Considering argos seem to be on a slow downhill spiral why would they want to spend so much money doing this?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

A friend of mine managed to get an Xbox One when they first came out. He managed to reserve one in an area of London that's rough as [Censored].
When the staff bagged it, then warned him to be careful and even taped leaflets around the box so the logo wouldn't show through the bag.
Don't suppose the iPads will stay at that store long then.
RichAllen
Grafter

Back in the 80s I used to shop at Argos every Saturday, spending my weekly spending money on Thundercats figures.
Nowadays I don't go much, except when I'm on the lookout for toys for my niece and nephew, their stuff is expensive though.

I recently bought 2 Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" tablets from Argos for the same price as Amazon and Currys (who were out of stock).
Quote from: 7up
Seems daft to me! Why would you use a £500 ipad as a glorified catalogue when you have your own brand of tablet that you could use instead?

I imagine they have struck a very good deal with the iPads' supplier for supply and maintenance.