Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how would Becky have been identified withou old DNA records

pierre_pierre
Grafter

how would Becky have been identified withou old DNA records

to all those who say we should not keep DNA records - get st--------d
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/police-confirm-the-identity-of-second-body-in-ocallaghan-...
Her naked body was discovered as part of the investigation into the murder of 22-year-old Sian O'Callaghan. The arrest of taxi driver Christopher Halliwell, 47, led police to a Cotswold beauty spot 17 miles from where the first woman's remains had been found.
"As you are aware, as part of the investigation into Sian O'Callaghan, we searched a field in Eastleach, Gloucestershire, where we discovered human remains," said Detective Superintendent Steve Fulcher, who is leading the inquiry.
He added: "Since we spoke last we have been searching the DNA database and seeking to develop a profile from the bones that were recovered."
Yesterday, a police source confirmed that her DNA was found on the database for a drugs-related offence
7 REPLIES
Fixes: 124

Re: how would Becky have been identified withou old DNA records

My opinion is that DNA records should still only be kept for those convicted of an offence.
Innocent until proven guilty and all that (although, I admit, that is irrelevant in this instance).
Perhaps there should be a separate database set up for those who wish to have theirs included on it.
Whether parents would have the right to include their children is another matter. Maybe they could with the child given the option to have it removed at a certain age If they so wish.
Doubt if any of the above is workable but are my thoughts on the subject.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Well I dont know about Becky, its doubtful that her parents would have provided her DNA, as they had fallen out with her
And we are not told if Becky had a record just that her DNA was taken in relation to Drugs
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Mav
My opinion is that DNA records should still only be kept for those convicted of an offence.

Agreed:-  I understand the identity (DNA profile) of a body can be established if a DNA sample is taken from a near relative (grandparent, parent, brother/sister, child or grandchild).
pierre_pierre
Grafter

that was my thought, but what is they have no clue as to the identity, how can they ask a relative?
Another in Essex this week, two arms found in a lake in Loughton, they charged a man with murder today just days after the arms found, no other parts of the body have been found yet
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Mav

on the other hand... if every one`s DNA is on a Police Data base.... then even if you haven`t been convicted.... you and your DNA are "not guilty"... so no problem..
DNA can significantly reduce the ID time spent for many crimes... and also, as in this case, has provided positive ID after the death of a person who has been missing for many years, and possibly could never have been ID`d any other way..... imagine a block of flats, that collapses.... all the people inside are killed.... the corpses come out one by one... and immediately identified...
. or just the guilty ones ? 
pierre_pierre
Grafter

that is exactly what happened in the Christchurch Earthquake, a was majority of the bodies could only be identified by DNA records
http://www.police.govt.nz/christchurch-earthquake/victim-identification-process
I know personally from family experience
Fixes: 124

Valid point, Shutter, and one that I had considered but, and this is just a personal preference, I'd still rather not have my DNA on some database.
But like any database particularly handled by a government or subsidiary it will be abused at some time.
Maybe at some future date when government and police integrity is restored I may change my mind - just not now.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still