Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how low can the Metal thieves go

pierre_pierre
Grafter

how low can the Metal thieves go

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15532694
Thieves prised plaques bearing the names of 700 fallen servicemen from Carshalton war memorial

Thieves are targeting plaques from the UK's estimated 100,000 war memorials to take advantage of soaring metal prices, according to a conservation group.
The War Memorials Trust estimates one monument is vandalised per week for its bronze, copper or other metal, despite them having "relatively little value".
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: how low can the Metal thieves go

Was just listening to an article on LBC radio on this. Nick Ferrari interviewed a scrap metal dealer about the technicalities of using "Smart Water" and whether it would survive the scrapping/melting process. What saddened me though was at no time did the apparently "bespoke" dealer show any revulsion or actually categorically say he wouldn't handle it if was presented to him. Although he did suggest that a way might be found to delay the culprit while the police were called.
This is an appalling crime. I cannot begin to think of what the robbers should have done to them if caught. In my opinion the scrap dealers should be equally treated. Nicking cabling from railway signalling and phone cabling however dangerous it could potentially be is one thing...this is something else entirely.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 47

How low can they go?
They are already at rock bottom for stealing anyway but yes this is a particularly abhorrent side to this type of offence.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Petlew
In my opinion the scrap dealers should be equally treated.

Doesn't the following apply to them?
Handling stolen goods is the name of a statutory offence in England and Wales and Northern Ireland. It takes place after a theft or other dishonest acquisition is completed and may be committed by a fence or other person who helps the thief to realise the value of the stolen goods. It replaces the offence of receiving stolen goods under section 33 of the Larceny Act 1916.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Petlew
This is an appalling crime. I cannot begin to think of what the robbers should have done to them if caught. In my opinion the scrap dealers should be equally treated. Nicking cabling from railway signalling and phone cabling however dangerous it could potentially be is one thing...this is something else entirely.

Sorry for me the stealing of copper cabling is more serious then some plague. The missing plagues not cause disruption or place life's at risk.
Community Veteran

Completely agree with all the views expressed but how is it that if you go into any large town and city you will appear on security video cameras yet you can go to a scrap yard with dodgy materials and no effort is made to check where they came from.
Every scrap yard in the country should either install videos so the person who sells the metal can be clearly seen or if a video is not viable then a photograph of the person should be taken and retained for examination by the police (and tax inspectors)
Anyone found guilty of this should also have their photograph shown in the press along with a compulsory prison sentence.
Would ANY other country in the world tolerate this kind of thing ?Huh
Community Veteran

i'd rather they stole stuff that didn't endanger life, however distastefully we view it.  the people who lost their plaque are going to re-do it in stone.  the thieves won't want that.
thanks to the shameful greed of corporations, more and more people are so desperate they will do anything to put a crust on the table.  if this means ripping things up to sell, that's what they will do.  this isn't a britain only problem, either.  it's happening all over the world.
Community Veteran

At one time even criminals had some sort of code of conduct but that no longer exists now.
I Can understand why people steal things but I cannot understand how they can steal plaques from war memorials as there are plenty of other things they can steal.
The names on those plaques are of people who gave their lives (and are still giving their lives) for this country and we should do everything to respect that which means pressing for appropriate action to be taken against these morons.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Catalytic Converter theft is pretty low
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-14790140
Heard from a police colleague that Ambulances had been targeted.
mentalist3d
Grafter

The area I'm in has had a lot of the drain covers stolen, since the recession started there has been a steady increase in theft of metal for scrap, increase in theft of petrol and diesel, and anything else that isn't nailed down. People are getting desperate and so are the criminals Sad
SidSnot66
Dabbler

Bring back the birch
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and some wooden stocks
Community Veteran

There is a private members bill regarding scrap metal - but it will need government support to get through. There is a petition urging them to support the bill:
https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/21165
[quote=Support the Metal Theft Prevention Private Member's Bill]To stop metal theft means stopping the means for selling it on. We need urgent reform to the outdated Scrap Metal Dealers Act 1964. This crime is costing lives and livelihoods, it is only a matter of time before an innocent life is lost as the result of the mindless actions of criminals. The significant impact of metal theft is damaging national infrastructure such as energy, telecommunications and transport networks. It is destroying our heritage and communities through attacks on churches, public art and even war memorials. There is a Bill before Parliament to amend the law introduced by Graham Jones MP. The Government must support this Bill. It will provide for a robust licensing regime with requirements on dealers to establish the origin of materials, greater police and Magistrate powers to close and prevent the re-opening of scrap metal dealers who do not conform to licence conditions and a cashless system for payments with requirement for proof of identity of seller and receiver.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Fixes: 47

1390 signatures + 1
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1