cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how long to get a postcode registered / forwarded on?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

how long to get a postcode registered / forwarded on?

Moved into a brand new council flat and I have used the RM tool to report it not found via http://www.royalmail.com/find-a-postcode, a week later and no change.  I googled this question with varying reports of few days too a week to show on the site and up too months for companies that use it to have it as well.

As it is its not even showing in the RM finder a week later so blocked from using most home delivery services, so how long is a RM piece of string?

Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
8 REPLIES
Leapy
Aspiring Pro

Re: how long to get a postcode registered / forwarded on?

@Gus You raise a really good point and a friend of mine moved into a new flat in Tottenham and had exactly the same problem. Angry and they had to use their mobiles for everything, until they got post and could arrange a landline and ISP.

They were sending weekly reminders to Royal mail http://www.royalmail.com/postcode-finder-address-enquiry-form to remind them and after four months, they got a postcode listed, which allowed them to do loads of other things.Smiley

Good Luck and I hope it gets resolved soon. 

The pub is two minutes from my home, although my home is two hours from the pub,
St3
All Star

nice to see u back in the forums gus i thought u had moved to mars.

Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran

Finally got a reply to my initial report over a week ago now, to them saying it takes 2 working days.  Yet it still doesn't work on their own website so now I have to wait until 4pm to phone them as they have a premium support number from 8am-4pm

Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Can't you use the normal Customer Services 0345 774 0740

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

We've had the current system of postcodes for many decades and are repeatedly reminded by the Post Office to use the postcode, yet they themselves seem not to pay much attention to it.  I regularly receive mail that is perfectly correctly and legibly addressed, just not to my address, or even to my sorting office area.  I usually repost it with a handwritten note saying "Please use the postcode".

I'm not surprised their own database is not up-to-date.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Postcodes have been in place since the 1950s when they first trialled them, so there's been plenty of time to get used to them, yet, back when citylink were in existence, they didn't quite seem to "get" what those mystery digits were for, because where I live, in the 5 mile radius, there's two streets with the same name, which come under the same town catchment area (as opposed to their actual village names), two times I had citylink deliver to the right house number, the right street name, the right "town", but completely the wrong Postcode, I did get the deliveries (one of which was three months later which arrived with the 2nd one!), but got endless lies upon lies when they tried to claim it was lost, the driver didn't know where he'd driven to, "it's here with me in the depot" (20 miles away, arriving 2 minutes after the end of the call!!!!), all for the sake of not looking at the postcode!!!

Postcodes are useful, but when PEBCAK occurs, they may aswell be hieroglyphics...

Community Veteran

Finally showed on RM's site but a new found joy of moving.  Found out that most use Postcode Anywhere for verification of an address, but looks like they haven't been sending out updates of the address/postcode to their customers.  Guessing they are 2 or more weeks old so anyone that has moved recently is without a paddle.

Community Veteran

So finally had someone call me from Tesco's groceries that has a clue, turns out it has been a problem for 3 weeks for a limited number of postcodes, it also affects ADSA groceries.  So started checking all the local supermarkets and only one that deliveries to me is Salisbury's

So if you just moved and are also stuck needing food delivered they aren't affected by Postcode Anywhere's mishandling of the updates.