cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do sum peple manage to rite programs?

pierre_pierre
Grafter

how do sum peple manage to rite programs?

Reading through the forums from people who are trying to get their programs working, it amazes me that they can even get them to load to their web spaces, I am sure it cant all be down to problems Like Gary and Jeykll have.
Can any one give a sensible answer?
11 REPLIES
geewizz
Grafter

Re: how do sum peple manage to rite programs?

Yes
10 IF CAP FITS THEN WEAR=TRUE
20 GOTO 10
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

First step is to get the spelling and grammar correct  Sad and it isn't normal English  Grin
Fixes: 47

Quote from: pierre_pierre
Can any one give a sensible answer?

In General Chit-Chat...that's a tall order Shocked
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
First step is to get the spelling and grammar correct  Sad and it isn't normal English  Grin

I think that is the key Jim.
My spelling and grammar are not the best, but I make a living supporting unix (life support) systems   Huh
Sometimes I think that English is not my first language.
Chilly
Fixes: 104

I'm with chilly. I think that my english isn't the best and that i'm more fluent in java :-) though what does worry me is the standard of english been taught in our schools. My daughters teachers have said that they aren't bothered about spelling, which i think is very poor. Excuse the poor formatting this is been done on my phone.
Will Moderate For Thanks

As was commented about this morning on BBC Breakfast.
With spell checkers appearing in all manner of applications and more written work done on a computer, is spelling knowledge applicable today.
As was noted, spelling and grammar checking will not pick out errors like 'there' in place of 'their' but generally they work well.

Just as an afterthought.
Generally when speaking about people earning their living using fluency in another language they usually think in terms of translators and French, German, Italian etc.
I'd like to bet there are far more people like Chilly earning their crust from their chosen second language.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Working out "there" and "their" is really quite simple......

Here and There      Places
Heir and Their      Belong to...
Cheesy Grin Grin Grin Cheesy Roll eyes
jmd
Grafter

Well, yes it is simple to work out - because we were taught properly in years gone by!  But children today are not taught in same way so they do not know the difference! Sad

but computer programs are something that are taught today[but not in our day] and so that is why we do not understand them that easily!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I may well be wrong here, but I think one of the reasons that the standard of English teaching is so poor these days, is because the teachers have not grasped the finer points of our language either, I don't think it's always right to blame the kids. As the old saying goes; if the pupil hasn't learnt, then the teacher hasn't taught.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Jekyll
Grafter

As I am now 41 all I can say is I hope that Teachers these days can keep better control of the classrooms.......in my day it was terrible, fights breaking out and desks and chairs being tossed around, for me as I was bullied in each and every school from primary onwards I never learnt much from school at all........most of what I did learn was taught to me by a lovely old lady that we new where we first lived, she is long gone now but she was always known to us as Aunty Roberts and she taught me how to spell and I like to think that some of the words have stuck in my memory (what's left of it).
My schooling is something I look back on with mass anger as the things I had to endure were things I could never tell others about.  Angry
I know bullying is still alive and kicking today and I abhor it, and is another reason why children these days will find it difficult to learn. I was always told to tell the teacher.......tell the teacher!! your having me on right? if I had done that the bullies would have known straight away who it was and I would then be waking up in hospital having been beaten to a pulp.......so instead I soaked it all up like a big sponge.
I don't consider myself stupid or anything, but I do admit that I struggle with certain things, and Computer stuff is one of them........then again no one is perfect!!
Jekyll