Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

house of lords

Give the electorate a referendum on the abolition of the House of Lords

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/209433

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
67 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: house of lords

Given that the HoL have overturned a lot of decisions that would have been detrimental to the people, I don't think they should be removed, yes the idea of the landed gentry having a lot of power is unequal, but, they do have their uses when our elected ones choose to screw over the electorate... Smiley

Anonymous
Not applicable

It appears that 96% of Express readers want the HoL abolished.

Seems like more than enough reason to keep it.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

@twocvbloke

Not sure they are able to overturn anything - delay yes, but that's about it and although I think a second chamber is important, one unelected stocked by right of birth, right of religion and the right kind of handshake, well no thanks...... so petition signed. Thumbs Up

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@Minivanman wrote:

Not sure they are able to overturn anything

They are, and have done, not always for the better, but they have helped in preventing inequality and civil rights being destroyed by elected governments, by abolishing them, well, say goodbye to your civil liberties... Wink

Anonymous
Not applicable

Civil liberties?

With our current lot of elected representatives, taking liberties would be a more appropriate term...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/20/dwp-sent-windrush-pensioner-33000-bill-for-disabilit...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

They should look at the ones who make a positive contribution to the bills they get from the House of Commons, by positive I mean pick up on points of law or legislation that might make it difficult for the bill to be implemented in the easiest way..

I expect 50% or more make little contribution to things simply calling to get their pay for the day or sleeping through things after a heavy lunch.The sooner they got the chop the better.

This is just one of several things that could save money which could be put to better use.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@twocvbloke

Example?

No fan of some of the Muppets in the Commons, but I would find it outrageous if that dim and dusty lot in the Lords were able to overturn a decision made by them.

'Commons Bills can be held up by the Lords if they disagree with them for about a year but ultimately the elected House of Commons can reintroduce them in the following session and pass them without the consent of the Lords'

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gleneagles wrote:

I expect 50% or more make little contribution to things simply calling to get their pay for the day or sleeping through things after a heavy lunch.The sooner they got the chop the better.

Any evidence for that?

Champnet
Pro

Having worked with many of the Lords, business not hereditary, I can tell you most are very knowledgeable, they have the ability to think things through based on experience and will have done their homework. They are called to the house to vote. They then have to sit through hours of waffle which has to be done for the records. During this some will sleep probably due to age and boredom, we would probably do the same.....

Remove the house and you remove a layer of Government accountability.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Champnet

I hear what you are saying, but they are not accountable to the electorate and sorry, but the last time I looked (and flawed though it is ) we do live in a democracy.

Second chamber yes, an unelected one, no.

Community Veteran

Keep them as they do the job of often making the government have a second think on things.

But severely cut their expenses and benefits.

They're all lords and ladies after all. They don't need the money.Smiley

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Minivanman wrote:

the last time I looked (and flawed though it is ) we do live in a democracy.

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”

attrib to Isaac Asimov https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/democracy

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@billnotben

Lords, Ladies, Bishops, and Placemen. Smiley

".......and he dreamt of his reward, a seat in the House of Lords"

Anonymous
Not applicable

The greatest argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.

Not Churchill, but whoever it was knew what they were talking about...