Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hmm it dont look like a landing to me

St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

hmm it dont look like a landing to me

Ive watched this 3 times now, and the angle of the plan landing looks way to steep..
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3499812/Boeing-737-passenger-jet-crashes-killing-55-passenge...
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: hmm it dont look like a landing to me

There is a video report on here...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35850167
Scroll down the page to second pic....

it shows the flight path, and the attempt to dump fuel before final approach..... the video also shows some footage of an object, presumably the plane, on a steep dive, rather than an " approach", into the ground about 200 mtrs short of the runway...  ( around about 0:46 seconds ).... watched it several times, and I agree,.... no-way was that a "landing"..
Community Veteran

Speculation on here......
https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/711087904366456832
The plane was actually climbing, before it crashed.... some speculation that after 2 hours of dumping fuel, it was climbing then stalled due to lack of fuel, then crashed in a steep dive.
beeceegee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: shutter
some speculation that after 2 hours of dumping fuel, it was climbing then stalled due to lack of fuel, then crashed in a steep dive.

the explosion and fireball suggests there was still quite a bit of fuel on board
Community Veteran

Half a litre of fuel, in an empty tank full of avgas fumes would cause the same kind of explosion, the fire would be an " after effect " caused by the residue being spread by the explosion.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

There is a lot of difference between aircraft "running out of fuel" and minimum fuel to maintain the correct aerodynamic balance and weight distribution.
In normal circumstance aircraft land with "an amount" fuel in the tanks. In most cases completely empty tanks would make the aircraft un-flyable.
So, the fire in this case would be entirely understandable, even after burning off excess fuel prior to the landing attempt. The hurricane force winds are thought to be a contributing factor.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
on a steep dive

That's what I thought when I first saw the video. A steep fast crash but was it?
You can't really tell from that video as you can't see what direction the plane is flying in.
And it looks a jerky stop motion video so is it running at a true speed?
PowerLee
Rising Star

Did Boeing ever fix the radio altimeter bug that has been a known 737 issue & has caused crashes & near misses in the past?
Was the plane under MANUAL control or was it set in AUTOLAND?
Community Veteran

Boeing Airplanes Verified account
‏@BoeingAirplanes

Boeing is launching a team & will serve as technical advisor during investigation of flydubai FZ981

From  Flight Radar 24 site ( Twitter section) .....

FlyDubai confirms both the Flight Data Recorder and Cockpit Voice Recorder have been recovered from #FZ981.

Flight details.....
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/a6-fdn/#922b3bd
You can move the airplane along the slider to view course (track) and speed, and altitude changes ( or you can run the vid)... significantly at 00:00 it was at 15,000 before starting a descent, which, if you watch the "track" seems to be in a circular route, all the way to the ground, 40 mins later. 
Also note the speed at the end, nearly 200 knots...
Community Veteran

Interesting theory doing the rounds..
http://aviationknowledge.wikidot.com/aviation:somatogravic-illusion
Lack of visual clues and variable acceleration/deceleration cause the illusion of going up when actually flying in a straight line. Pilot then "corrects" by initiating a stick-down, effectively putting the aircraft into a dive.
Community Veteran

Having read your linky, it is certainly a possibility... as I have just done a "rough graph" of the last 2 seconds of the flight data, as given by FR24.
  Using the mouse, I found the point on the slider where the pilot started his descent from 1800 feet.  and check marked the descent intervals, using the right arrow to advance to the next frame.
  it shows a steady descent from 1800ft, on a track of 226degs, which I assume is the runway centre line... until he reaches 1525ft, .... his speed was about 120 knots, and constant, which is how it should be for a "normal approach"...
then suddenly, he starts to climb very quickly, increasing speed,.................................. in ONE SECOND, he goes from 1525ft all the way up to near 4,000ft.......
at that point, his speed has increased from 120kts to 185kts, then just as suddenly, he descends through 2,675 feet at 185knots, and then through 925ft at 197knts....... 
So a very fast climb and descent in ONE SECOND
All the time the course was within one or two degrees of 225...
ffox
Rising Star

I think the speeds on that radar plot are ground speed rather than airspeed.  They vary a lot during the last few minutes, so the wind must be gusting mightily.  At one stage the speed drops to 102K.  If that was airspeed the aircraft would be in deep stall conditions.
So I don't think it's the pilot changing speed, more likely sudden drops/gusts in the wind.
Community Veteran

Not minutes.....

I have just done a "rough graph" of the last 2 seconds of the flight data, as given by FR24.

Community Veteran

You might find this interesting. ATC and an animation of the flight path..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRUVDZjBAAs
Community Veteran

Thanks for that.