Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

happy on a water meter

magnetism2772
Grafter

happy on a water meter

and quids in
now able to make economies of scale, its a relief to know the water bill every month is reduced a large amount
If you have a large family ,  then  this will not suit  you or every one like you
29 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: happy on a water meter

I tend to believe that water companies are happy for us to be unmetered as they can extract greater amounts of cash from us.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
magnetism2772
Grafter

I'm saving now lots and more importantly my water usage is fnally managable and within my control strat
unmetered water policy formally is set below
A set charge for the financial year is calculated by multiplying the rateable value figure(ie assessment of the annual rental value of a property made by the Local Authority) by the relevant tariff for water and/or sewerage charges. The higher the rateable value, the higher the bill and vice versa. The bill does not reflect the number of occupiers in the property, or the amount of water used. Reductions are not given for single occupancy. Charges are payable in advance, unless an alternative payment frequency (monthly etc) is arranged with the company.

and you can think of it like this
the annual water  bill(yearly) price is based on the Essex man(the avg middle class family
wife and 2.2 children) times the water price (tariff) set by the water company in your area
if your not or longer in that family bracket , look into the pro's and cons of having a water meter fitted
ie ask the water company to forecast a monthly water bill based on your  own situation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Where does the water meter go ?
Do they have to dig up part of your drive to install it or does it go under the sink near the stopcock ?
itsme
Grafter

The water meter is not on your property. It's part of the main stopcock at the boundary of the property.
magnetism2772
Grafter

its normally fitted just inside to the kerb  to the road at the front of the house
its where any public paths start and just outside the boundary of your front garden
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

My late MIL's water meter was on the rising main pipe in the kitchen.
Not young enough to know everything
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I am with Anglia Water and they actively encourage meters.
Around here, they do a small amount of digging, as they have to put in a larger dia viewing pipe, and they have to get access to the pipe when they put the meter on, normally done in a very short time.
House across the road had big trouble, the T onto the main broke when they were fitting the meter, the crew wernt authorised to repair it, they had to wait for another crew and the inspector, who turned off the mains at al the branches.
The actual repair was simple, a large rubber lined clamp, with T around the main, tighten up - job done  but it was pouring out for about four hours
We have all plastic pipes here, now about 45 years old
magnetism2772
Grafter

and they actively encourage meters.

Because the water company knows that there is another side with a water meter
you  can use this as a rough guide in most circumstances where the person is conservative about water use
the monthly bill for a single person is roughly (around £12) metered
;;          ;;        ;;    ;;  ;;  couple would be double this (around £24) metered
and  for any further  multiple  just add £12
but you need to check the accuracy by asking for a monthly forecast  for your own household
So the catch comes when mr essex man decides he wants a meter  and has 3 or 4 children and additional adults living with them
then on the sums above if their proportional correct  then their bill is  more expensive than going unmetred(unmeasured)
nadger
Rising Star

@p_p Like you we're with Anglian Water and have been on meter for quite a few years. For two people it's so much cheaper than the old tariff based on rateable value.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Essex man has no problems, Anglian water have a switch back scheme  http://www.anglianwater.co.uk/household/your-account/water-meters/choosing/switchback-guarantee/
If you decide to make the switch you have two years to decide if it’s right for you. If you see that you’re not saving money and want to switch back, that’s fine.
However, you will have to pay for any metered charges raised before you switch back onto unmeasured charges.
nadger
Rising Star

Only problem I've seen with a water meter is when it's connected to the wrong property.
Happened to a friend who bought a house at other end of Leighton Buzzard. He lives on his own but was getting a bill about twice the size of ours.
Meters must have been installed about 10 years ago and he was being billed for property opposite and vice versa. His neighbours had been really pleased with their water consumption over previous 18 months as there were three people in the house.
Anglian Water gave our friend £250 compensation and didn't charge the neighbour extra as it wasn't his fault.
jmd
Grafter

My meter made a huge saving to the old billing that was on house when I moved in.  The meter is fitted inside kitchen where water comes in to house - I cannot read it as right at back of cupboard under sink.  But there is a plastic plug like thing outside that someone comes along and reads every so often from water company.
matt_2k34
Grafter

water meters have their downsides too..
when my street was first put in, one of the houses werent paying for their water (and never did, it seems)
when they moved out, and someone else moved in, they took a meter reading, looked at what had been paid for in the past... and billed accordingly.
Baring in mind it was a woman living on her own....
1 months bill - over £1300.
theres a downside to everything !  Roll eyes
I wish companies would make notes on where the meters are though (gas, eleccy and water) as although the eleccy is on the side of the house, they still check (and often wake me up) and ask to come in the house - when if they looked they could see they could get straight to it - as its on the side of the house Smiley
Im not a fan of the council-loved "pre pay" meters using cards, i think theyre hideous Smiley
N/A

I can see that they might be OK for single people, particularly if they are out at work most of the time.  However, I wouldn't be happy with one as I would always be worried about the bill.  At least now I know that it is paid for don't have to worry.  Also, I was under the impression that you have only one year and after that can't go back.  Maybe it is different from one water company to another.