Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

green fly's

scootie
Grafter

green fly's

strange topic i know  Crazy
any ways on Saturday early evening here we had a mass of green fly's, the air was thick with them every where. do green flys do this every year? iv'e never noticed this before in chesterfield so maybe just an oldham thing, well ive seen them in mass balls under tree shade but the whole est was thick with them
just before this happend we had a wee spot of rain and i mean wee as the ground didnt even get wet really, but the rain drops was massaive and then the green flys came.
the spiders are well fat now
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: green fly's

Haven`t seen them in mass formation, but have noticed quite a few in the garden this past weekend.....not had any rain for over a week....
I am assuming you are talking about this.....

scootie
Grafter

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

http://www.biology-resources.com/aphid-01.html
complex life cycle with reproduction of both 'winged' and 'wingless'
http://www.biology-resources.com/documents/aphid-p2-life-cycle.doc (shows the 'Black Fly' or Bean Aphid, Green fly is similiar)
Community Veteran

Ah, remember the great aphid plague of 77, followed by the great ladybird plague of 77 and the great bunting plague of 77.  Wink
Worst insect plague I remember was when living abroad in 73, in the path of a locust swarm. They just had everything. They even had the paper labels off the insecticide drums.
Gabe
scootie
Grafter

locust in oz is a big problem, they have to catch them when they hatch in the mid region of oz and chase them south and hopefully reduce there numbers before they reach the south west coast where they grow most/all there food
all i can think is that these very  big drops of rain knocked them of the under side of the leaves and forced them to swarm, these rain drops was big tho i couldn't stand outside as they hurt your head, but that didn't wash with the other half when her washing was getting wet
Community Veteran

Ah well, in that case, I should have posted this....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32369450@N02/4672547638/
scootie
Grafter

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32369450@N02/3974325868/
like this one for the reflection's and not just the mirror reflection of you but i like these kinda shots  and the black head gull in flight in front of car, didn't look through all 170 of them tho
some very good shots there and i should know as my mum's on a photography degree coarse at derby uni, so am asked daily what i think of shots
Community Veteran

Thanks.....
get her on Flickr, and join a few(?) groups... she will get help, and info for free ! ! !..
scootie
Grafter

now this is where she would say no way, there taught at uni now days to not post there images on the net. All tho they have been just taught to make a website and hers with a little help from me was said by her teacher that she must get it live asap as they only had to save them to cd/ flash stick.
i have no idea why they say not to use the likes of flickr and to only use custom built sites to show case and sell your own images
Community Veteran

"possibly" because of people downloading the image anywhere in the world and using it, without due regard to copyright laws... problem I have with that attitude is.... if you don`t want people to see your pics.... and you are worried that you might lose out on a lucrative deal because the pic has been "stolen".... then don`t post it on the net....
.... on the other hand, if you DO want people to see your pics, putting them on your own website with a copyright notice means, effectively, that anyone "stealing" your pics and using them for profit, can be sued ..... how successful that is, depends on how much money you want to throw at the lawyers !...
it is possible to restrict the viewing on flickr, and also to add a copyright watermark on them as well....  I put my pics on there for fun, and the comments have helped me to improve, plus joining groups there is discussion on various "personal" techniques and stuff, which all helps...
There are over 1100 pics on my website.... and some (I hope) useful information on my blogsite..... Wink
Community Veteran

@shutter.  Do you have any problems or instances with image theft?
Where do you consider copyright theft begins? In the initial download of an image? or the actual use of the image in some publication either for commercial or non-commercial gain.
Community Veteran

I have not seen any of my pics used anywhere..... so "currently" have no problems .... I have had a couple of requests to have an image included in a (travel) brochure, and one "on line" brochure, which I gave my permission for.... no cash changed hands, as there was no "profit" from the exposure for the people requesting it... ... I wrote a piece on "Birdworld"  Tropical Bird Garden, near Farnham, Surrey, on my blogsite, and  I was asked if they could use my blogsite linky on their website.... so I agreed...
Basically I am of the opinion.... If you don`t want to take the risk of "piracy" or Copyright Theft, then don`t post it on the internet....
It all boils down to how you regard your photographs and your "skill" of photography..... If you think you are "good enough" then you will hawk your stuff around in sealed envelopes, and try to remember where you left them, when you get home without them..!... or you will have some very secure website, that only certain publishers/agencies will have access too, and you have a watertight agreement about the "rights" to the images....
My photography is for fun... I enjoy taking the pics, and I enjoy "showing them off".... if others like them, so much the better,.... makes me feel good when they say so...  
Most commercial organisations know the risks involved in stealing pics from websites, etc., and would not want to go down the court house, to justify their "misuse" of the images.... so will contact you if they consider they may be useful.... on the other hand, they may "commission" an agency to produce a "similar" pic for them... which, in the end, would probably work out cheaper !...

Where does copyright theft begin?  not sure... again, depends on how you "value" your pics..... a picture`s copyright exists to the person who actually took the pic , from the moment the shutter is pressed.... If a school wanted to use my pic(s) in a lesson, or school project, and they copy it and use it within the school, then I have no problem with that... If they decided to use the pic to promote the school,  (or business organisation) and did not request permission... (and I later found out) then that would concern me....
I`m a reasonable guy.... so treat me with respect.... or I can be very unreasonable, and will give no quarter...... (not to you personally.... just how I feel about it  ! ! )

Community Veteran

@Shutter, thanks for that, was curious from the other perspective. I frequently use (or plan to use) downloaded photographs (working on the theory that every photograph I want to use, somebody else has a better one……….……I’ll admit I’m a carp photographer. I just get to some weird places).
IMHO in downloading I’m not infringing copyright.
As soon as I ‘intend’ to publish I seek approval prior to publication, I don’t object to paying for photographs, I get paid for the finished product either in cash or recognition or as a contract fee, so I don’t see why the photographer shouldn’t get paid as well.
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys

IMHO in downloading I’m not infringing copyright.

Hmm.... difficult point of law there methinks.... What I have said above, is my "personal take" on how people use my pics.... others may have a more "serious" view or aspect on whether "just downloading" is breaching copyright...... I suppose that really, by "just looking" at my website, for example.... you are actually "downloading" the images from a server, onto your computer, to be viewed....
I suppose that if you then "save to...."  then you are technically downloading without permission, (unless you have already contacted the author).....