cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

government winter fuel supplement

community
Grafter

government winter fuel supplement

Anybody seen any news about this year's distribution, if it is still available...for oldies of course Smiley
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: government winter fuel supplement

It's less than before: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensionsandretirementplanning/Benefits/BenefitsInRetirement/DG_179916
Basically £200 per household or £300 if over 80.
nadger
Rising Star

Looking at previous years we got ours around 15th November.
As you say, it's down to £200 this year - goes up, all being well, in 4 years time.
Fixes: 47

Most payments are made between November and December 2011. Over twelve million payments are being made during this time. It’s not possible to be more detailed about when you will receive your Winter Fuel Payment. You will receive a notification letter and this will give you a more specific estimated payment date.
  Cheesy
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
community
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
It's less than before:  Basically £200 per household or £300 if over 80.

That's great news! surely means that this winter  will be warmer than lastHuh?? Angry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

So.... you think the government will get the weather forecast right?  strange when they can`t get anything else right !   Grin Grin Grin or should that be  Cry Cry Cry
nadger
Rising Star

@Strat - in recent years letter has come after payment is in bank account.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I disagree with the concept of winter fuel supplement as it is, the system is open to too much abuse. (this is the £200 payment for those over 60-odd – 1 payment per household).
A better system (although not foolproof) would be ‘proof of ID and age per household’ to your Utility supplier who then discount your fuel bill accordingly, the Utility supplier then reclaims from the state.
nadger
Rising Star

I suppose that people could use Winter Fuel Payment to fund whatever they want but I do feel that your alternative would be too complicated to administer.
You may have seen the problems that are happening with Warm Home Discount scheme that will apply this winter - this works on a similar basis to your suggestion apart from having to be funded by fuel companies.
itsme
Grafter

Should limit the winter fuel payments to those that are drawing a state pension. I think it's absurd that over 60's that are still working still get it.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: nadger
@Strat - in recent years letter has come after payment is in bank account.

Yeah I noticed that nadger, I just found the 'more specific estimated' line a bit funny but that's my screw-balled sense of humour.
Maybe that's why I like Lee Evans Cheesy
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
community
Grafter

yes I also found that line funny....and I probably jave a similar sense of humour as you BUT I regret that I do not like Lee Evans,
Sorry..... Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: nadger
I suppose that people could use Winter Fuel Payment to fund whatever they want but I do feel that your alternative would be too complicated to administer.

I've no objection to alternative funding of say a bottle of Brandy for cold winter nights.
There are several scams, pensioner couples (as an example), actually living together, but one registered at daughters/sons address to get 2 Winter fuel supplements.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and people wintering in Spain getting it
nadger
Rising Star

As I understand the rules you continue to receive WFP if you move to live permanently in another EU country and are already receiving payment.
It's one of those benefits that arouses debate as many would say that the benefit should be higher but means tested.