cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

got me self a new boiler!

kdoug007
Grafter

got me self a new boiler!

Any one  had a  new  one  recently..  got a  baxi ( not  the  combi type)
had a  few  issues  ware i had to press the  re-set  button!!!!!!! 
but  today is  ok....
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: got me self a new boiler!

We had a new boiler and hot water tank installed to replace the old combi boiler (about 20 years old). Having a hot shower in the morning is now bliss rather than a suicide mission.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Couple of years ago our old one went kerput (as they do like) and left us stuffed. Landlord had been refusing to replace it and kept opting to repair it against the repairmans advice. The boiler man kept saying he'd had enough of repairing it because it was causing him hassle just finding parts for it etc because it was so old. Then the thing went kerput and he told the landlord it was beyond repair this time and he wouldn't even be trying to fix it.
So we suffered for a few days but the landlord put a nice new one in! We've had no trouble with the hot water or heating since. With the old one it was guaranteed to be once or twice a year.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Didn't think you could still get the older type. I thought they were all combi now.
But my Baxi is over 20 years old, only thing that has gone wrong with it in the past 20 years (that I have lived here) is the thermostat and the flame sensor.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

By baxi do you mean the small little ones that did both the heating and water? - When I say small I mean 1.5 ft x 1.5ft max..
We had one of those moons ago it was clearly from the age of the dinosaurs but by god it was reliable. Nothing ever went wrong with that thing and it never gave us a moment of greif once.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
WTF
Grafter

Quote from: AlaricAdair
We had a new boiler and hot water tank installed to replace the old combi boiler (about 20 years old). Having a hot shower in the morning is now bliss rather than a suicide mission.

Yeah - a thermastatic shower valve really helps with combi boilers - we have them in both our showers and after finding the ideal temp once, we haven't needed to touch the temperature lever in the last 2 years.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Hairy
Didn't think you could still get the older type. I thought they were all combi now.

Don't confuse combi with condensing.
All new boilers must be condensing (high efficiency) unless there's a good reason why a condensing boiler is unsuitable but they may be combi type or a 'traditional' system boiler.  Combi boilers can be highly unsuitable for many installations.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
nadger
Rising Star

Correct. We had new boiler fitted for free 2 years ago and they also replaced hot water tank, pump etc.
We installed previous boiler in 1985 so it gave 26 years service.
rja66
Rising Star

Replaced our old boiler with a Worcester Bosch combi about 3 years ago. Fuel bills reduced dramatically, but recent price increases soon made up for that !  Angry
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
Correct. We had new boiler fitted for free 2 years ago and they also replaced hot water tank, pump etc.

Absolutely nothing personal but I wonder how many free boilers my tax is paying for.  I wouldn't mind but I'm struggling with high fuel bills and can't afford to replace my own 1980s balanced flue Myson Orion which is none too efficient (but at least it's extremely reliable).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
itsme
Grafter

It's not your taxes but the levies on your energy bills that paying for it.
Community Veteran

Thanks for the clarification but with the way government taxation & spending is so 'carefully controlled' that' might be a bit like saying petrol tax and road fund pays for road repairs and improvements.
Fuel levies, income tax, national insurance, VAT etc. all really just end up in the nation's funds then the government of the day 'wisely' spend more than they have, borrow more then try to think of ways to tax us more to pay the debt.  At the end of the day, green levies on fuel are tax.
Also, with an old, inefficient boiler I'm surely paying 'more than my due share' of fuel levy because I can't afford a new efficient boiler (and no subsidies, winter fuel allowance or cold weather payments).
Call me 'w23'
nadger
Rising Star

Wonder how much I've paid in various taxes since starting work in January 1952  Wink
Would have been a mug not to have taken advantage of the then government Warmfront scheme when our 26 year old boiler was condemned ( CO leak) in March 2011.
Community Veteran

Agreed but due to the financial wisdom of various governments over the years the tax you paid through the majority of your working life has long since been spent (and more).  Lips are sealed
Call me 'w23'
rja66
Rising Star

Quote from: w23
Absolutely nothing personal but I wonder how many free boilers my tax is paying for.

Not mine. Had to splash out my hard earned and I'm having to pay my 'green' taxes. Still I'm glad my money is having a positive effect on the environment  Roll eyes