cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gPhone?

ddunford
Grafter

gPhone?

What are peoples thoughts on the gPhone? Is it Real? Would you want one compared to the iPhone?

http://www.last100.com/2007/08/29/the-gphone-is-coming-how-google-could-rewrite-the-rules/
16 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

Re: gPhone?

My current phone lets me down.  K800i.  The joystick is dying, meaning it's hard to use.  The 'net access isn't great with it.
I don't want an iphone as I mostly text and the iphone ain't great for it.
If the gphone could do texting well (I want blimin' buttons, not a solid screen) and integrate well with google apps, I might well be interested.
Having google calendar and gmail on my phone which integrates nicely with the OS would be really useful. 
brad
Grafter

This looks really interesting, I would like one. Big fan of Google and if it is only locked down to one provider fair enough, I could do with getting out of my 18-month contract  Undecided
Let's hope this is going to get past design / prototype phase.
N/A

Quite a good document, seems to cover lots of questions I'd have asked myself.
If the product surfaces, the markets it could dominate are huge!
Sat Nav for example; if you have a device [smartphone] with GPS, then Google maps are the way to go.
The interface isn't great though if you are trying to use gmaps whilst driving.
With forethought the touchscreen of a Gphone would enable the same level of big-button control as dedicated units do, making it at least as good as them.
Add in the fact that you'd have a live data connection in the unit, and you can get live traffic alerts to seamlessly divert you around traffic.
You could use the upstream data connection to channel location/speed conditions back to the servers to help calculate average travel times on certain routes too, again making the mapping more useful.
A whole world of extra advertising revenue opens up too, local non-web orientated businesses would be able to buy a local presence on Google, perhaps only showing up within fixed geographical radiuses.
Lots of possibilities, and this is just looking at a specific possible function of a possible device that possibly might one day get made and possibly sold.
Possibly. Wink
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Having googled this, it's either not real or it's being kept as secret (or more so) than the macbook air. Going with Googles philosophy they'd need some company like HTC (big fan of their phones) to make a budget model, which would be an expensive deal. It would also need to look nice and definitely not cheap (in spite of actually being cheap) in order to compete with the iPhone.
It looks more like they're pushing the software at the moment (android, it's called) and it's looking really rather good with typical google ideas (good ones that make sense, that is).
I dunno. Maybe there will be a handset released at some point but I don't think it's a priority for them, though as soon as they make android available for the HTC wizard my phone will be getting a reflash. Again.
EDIT: I'm merely editing this to shake my head at the amount of brackets I found it necessary to include in this post. Sorry, everybody.
N/A

Yeah, lots of brackets.
HTC devices are good! Been setting up the TyTn II for the MD this week, he's far happier with that than he ever was with RIM devices.
filbower

Quote from: James_H
Yeah, lots of brackets.
HTC devices are good! Been setting up the TyTn II for the MD this week, he's far happier with that than he ever was with RIM devices.

That is a shame, the RIM products have/had quite a lot of potential but have been too cautious for their own good.  That is why HTC devices have thrived.
N/A

I think they struggled because of the approach.
RIM had a great approach from a software POV - the concept has proved itself to be hugely popular - but they had to try to create a device as a vehicle for their idea.
HTC did better because they focussed on making a good device, and left the software side of things to Microsoft (and whatever our opinions of M$, they are pretty good when they do something new, they are just useless at improving stuff once its made, instead making things worse as they age in too many cases)
I do prefer the RIM model from a push POV, rather than the Windows Mobile very frequent pull POV, which is a bit backwards to my mind, but the rest of the device functionality far outweighs the downsides.
LiamM
Grafter

I love my Blackberry!
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

If it had a biltin Text Reader I would buy one!
And with GPS as well would be so cool.
N/A

Gary,
There are text readers available for Windows Mobile devices, and there are many of them with GPS built in too.
The HTC Tytn II is one such device, but it would be hard to recommend without knowing what you'd actually want from a device.
If you want to use it a fair bit for sending emails and browsing, a qwerty keyboard is a very useful addition. Sizes of keyboards vary widely, so you'd really need to look at a few devices, and have a go with them in a local shop to decide which is best for you.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Hi James
I  want a Mobil Phone with:
Built in GPS
Built in Text Reader
Calendar / Diary
Address Book
Built in Bluetooth
USB Port to conekt to a PC
I want to use it for:
Send & receiving emails
Text Messaging
Calendar / Diary to help me keep appointments.
Address Book to keep Friends & Business Address in.
GPS to get me from (A) to (B) by Bicycle or by Walking.
Do you think I have a chance in geting a Mobil Phone with all that?
N/A

Absolutely, although you'll probably have to install the text reader yourself. (I'd guess at a wider choice to try for Windows Mobile, but could be wrong)
Virtually all of the software platforms you'll find will support all of the basic software requirements you have (emails, calendar etc)
The thing you need to do really is decide on the hardware by holding/touching/feeling!
Its likely that the larger a device gets, the easier it'll be for composing messages.
But... the larger a device gets, the less portable it is.
Whatever you get will compromise on something, its only when you play with them that you decide which you are happy to compromise on.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Hi James
A update I have looked at the HTC TyTN II it is a nice phone and it looks like it can do it all. 
I went to:
The HTC TyTN II from Vodafone is £85.95 for the Phone with a 18 month contract at £35.00 a month.
The HTC TyTN II from T-Mobil is £20.00 for the Phone with a 18 month contract at £37.00 a month.
Going to look some more next week.
clockley
Grafter