Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

furniture store sale tactics

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

furniture store sale tactics

Very interesting article here : http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/02/asa-uk-ban-talktalk-broadband-ad-after-bt-moan-of-misle...
Quote from: http
The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) has sided with an interesting BT complaint against a press advert for TalkTalk’s SimplyBroadband package, which complained that a “half-price” offer of £1.75 per month was “not a genuine sale price” because the standard price of £3.50 had not been used for long enough.

When was the last time PN standard broadband price was used, and for any length of time?
Regards
Mike
Mike
10 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: furniture store sale tactics

last I checked there was an option to choose what price you payed when you sign up, you can either take the low priced deal or opt to pay standard rate but without the lengthy contract /
stalk stalk OTOH never had such an offer and didn't comply with price point regulations of setting the standard tariff and selling at that point for 3 months prior to offering a discount /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Superuser
Superuser

Sorry i should have been more clearer, i meant in terms of customers that sign up to a contracted phone and broadband package .
Regards
Mike
Mike
Community Veteran

Most of the larger ISPs have a 'Sale' on almost as often as DFS.
I personally object more to 'half price' being advertised where line rental must be taken to qualify and that's not reduced at all so the real saving is a lot less than 50% - using the TT example, full price is £3.50 + £16.70 (total £20.20 including the compulsory line rental - yes I know they also offer LRS but I'm looking at 'standard' BB + LR in this example), 'Sale' price £1.75 + £16.70 (total £18.45) giving an actual achievable saving of 8.7% on total cost of having broadband with TT (hardly a headline-grabbing saving).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Exactly, if the sale price depends on also having line rental then it's downright dishonest not to include it in any forecast alleged percentage savings.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Ve Haf Vays und Means to Convuze you  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

And to confuse matters further if you have a contract for 12 or 18 months and you reach the end of that contract why are you not classed as a new customer or have the rights of a new customer  if you wish to enter into another contract ?
Fixes: 125

You can certainly do that with insurance companies. The renewal notice is usually far too high and even a phone call doesn't often get the same price as a new customer so you simply get a new quote and buy that.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Pity you can't do it with broadband companies.
Wink
nanotm
Pro

its worse with certain providers, if you've used them in the last 5 years at the same addess they wont consider you as a new customer when you try to switch back to them ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

They only make such offers because people accept them.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.