cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

free broadband - talk talk scam?

mentalist3d
Grafter

free broadband - talk talk scam?

I've just had Talk Talk at my door claiming they are taking over PlusNet, they also are claiming that they have to give broadband away for free, and all the other companies will have to do so as well. This seems to be TalkTalks new scam to get people to sign up to them.  I also found another forum where a user had the same experience - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1341393
Dodgy scamming Bs
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: free broadband - talk talk scam?

Next time that happens, ask for proof of identity, write down their details and ask them to repeat their claim then tell them of bu**er off.
Send a complaint to Ofcom.
My personal experience of TalkTalk has always found them to be a bit shady and devious, but other people may differ in that view.  There is a difference between "cheap" and inexpensive.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
mentalist3d
Grafter

I did try to get his details from him, but he kept deflecting the question, slippery than a politician. I did get in touch with PlusNet, and they said they are aware of the issue (and other issues) with Talk Talk so I've reported them to Trading Standards.
I used to be with Tiscali then Talk Talk and all I can say was that my experience was not very pleasant, constant calls to an inefficient customer support, long wait times to even get connected, and really poor connection speeds. I just assumed all ISPs were like this until I joined PlusNet, only ever had to contact support twice, and both times the issues were resolved quickly.
matt_2k34
Grafter

I just assumed all ISPs were like this until I joined PlusNet,

So spread the word to all your friends, family and colleagues and earn yourself a nice referral-discount!
TalkTalk should have their knuckles wrapped on more than just aggressive sales. General incompetence in companies should be banned.
lexusuk
Grafter

Quote from: losw
I've just had Talk Talk at my door claiming they are taking over PlusNet

Hi losw,
I can assure you this is not the case.  We are aware of this tactic used by TalkTalk sales staff but unfortunately they appear to be using a third party team for door to door sales exonorating TalkTalk from blame for this.  I will report this case as a further example of this problem. 
If anyone sees any further examples if you can take the employee's name and any other relevant details this will certainly be helpful to us in terms of reporting the incident.
randpwar
Grafter

I'm assuming we aren’t privy to this but are the third party company aware that this is a lie or are they being duped? In which case it isn’t fair to them either
mentalist3d
Grafter

@Alex: After posting last night I did get in touch with customer services and they assured me that it wasn't the case either (I didn't think it was, I have had dealings with Talk Talk in the past and know what their like). I reported them to the local Trading Standards and will be making a post on my sites to warn others in my local area.
I did notice other areas up and the down the UK are also experiencing similar sales tactics from TalkTalk, the fact they have to resort to such low tactics is just one more reason why people should stay away from TalkTalk.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Keep a disposable camera near your front door and next time you get some dodgy person giving you a load of rubbish, say just a minute and take a photograph of them. They have already told you who they represent so knowing you have a photo of them and who they work for they will soon clear off. (probably to  scam some other poor b****r.)
Community Veteran

some of these callers may not be bona fide talk-talk representatives, just scam artists borrowing the cover.  with so many scams around these days, it's getting difficult to keep pace.  the talk-talk rep who called on me some months ago had id and the paperwork to sign me up.  he talked a good deal, but what he offered was in no way sufficient to nudge me.
if it isn't wearing a card with its pic on and some details to go with it, treat it with suspicion.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Fair point but it's fairly easy to rig up a fake card and stick a photo on it.
Golden rule is never to buy anything at the door or over the telephone.
I remember a couple knocking on my door, addressed me by name and said we have some good news for you, you have won a prize.
My reply was, it's your lucky day because you can have it ! Closing the door before they could respond.