cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

free boilers!!

kdoug007
Grafter

free boilers!!

just  wanted  to say , that if  ya on certain  benefits ,, you  more than likely  will get a  FREE  BOILER..
  needless to say they  dont  come  cheap!!
6 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: free boilers!!

this is an obligation placed on the energy companies by the government which is cited as the reason our bills are going up.
Community Veteran

I thought those schemes had expired, but maybe they have a new one now?
My very old and frail in-laws (only one surviving now, sadly) qualified a few years ago and got a new boiler/pump/controls, central heating system flushed and repaired, draughtproofing and loft insulation, all for free (to them).
At that time the funds were quite limited and you really had to be in serious need to qualify. The total annual spend on the scheme was a minute fraction of the energy bills so a political red herring.
Edit: This appears to be the new "2013" scheme, no info on limits/caps obvious, but emphasis is on insulation: https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/environmental-programmes/energy-companies-obligation-eco
nadger
Rising Star

Just checked government site and it seems the warmfront scheme ended on 19th Jan 2013
https://www.gov.uk/warm-front-scheme
Did however find this site
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

If you are on "certain benefits"... then you qualify for an inspection.  depending on other factors, depends on whether you qualify for FREE boiler...( I think the boiler has to be 10 years old, or in such a bad state of repair that it gets condemned by the inspector )....
it may transpire that you get a grant and you have to, either pay some, or all, of it back... same goes for wall insulation and loft insulation...
SSE have a scheme...and I am sure that other energy companies have it.... they just don`t broadcast it to the general public, cos it costs them money... worth talking to your energy company about " Free Insulation and boiler replacement scheme "
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Its the usual benefits,
    Pension Credit
    Child Tax Credit (with an income of £15,860 or less)
    Working Tax Credit (with an income of £15,860 or less)
    Income Support
    Income-based Job Seeker's Allowance
    Income-Related Employment Support Allowance

Unfortunately we don't qualify for any of them even though we earn MUCH less than £15K SHMBO doesn't earn enough to pay tax, so can't get WTC - catch 22 eh? Crazy
RichAllen
Grafter

Yay! Free boilers for people on benefits! Something else for the Daily Mail readers to complain about! Cheesy