cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

english only MPS for england only voters

magnetism2772
Grafter

english only MPS for england only voters

in the con dem voting reform should the two C's ,  Cameron/ Clegg discuss  a parliament for England
and give the people an  English parliament ?
a government of the English ,by the English, for the English , just as the Scots, the Welsh and n.Irish have for themselves ?Huh
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: english only MPS for england only voters

Seems very sensible. reform parliament, use the House of Lords for an upper UK parliament as now with people elected from around the uk.
In what is now the Commons, put the English parliament with only English constituency MPs.
Drasticall reduce in number what are now GP's.
But will it happen. not likely is my guess.
Actually John Prescott did seriously suggest and English assembly many years ago, but it got little backing in England.
Here in Scotland - I think our Scottish parliament does a fair job, not brilliant but fair. England needs something siimilar.
But overall - keep the numbers down, we don't just want more professional politians
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Drasticall reduce in number what are now GP's.

That's a different issue
But will it happen. not likely is my guess.

The Coalition agreement promises a commission on the West Lothian question. If they something isn't done about it in this parliament it never will be. It won't be in the interests of a future Labour government to lose Scottish votes on UK issues.
Community Veteran

while we're at it, get rid of all those parasites in the lords called 'spiritual'.  you know the ones, the unemployables.
avalon
Grafter

Personally I'd do away with all the regional assemblies.  The money wasted on the Scottish Parly construction plus all those MSP's, support staff, etc ongoing costs is huge.  One central parliament and regional policy taken on by sub-committees and implemented by the existing civil service mandarins in the regions would save a fortune.
hadden
Grafter

How about locating the English assembly in the centre of England?
nadger
Rising Star

Which, from my old cycling days, was somewhere around Meriden in West Midlands  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Neither the Scottish Parliament nor the Welsh Assembly have much of a record for financial probity! I think that @me has more than a point!
Sad  Sad
idlewis
Grafter

To save all the hassle, why not have independance for Scotland and will have all the powers transferred  from  Wesminister so England and Scotland will have two equal parliaments.  There should be a referendum on this in Scotland before May 2011 if Alex Salmond has his way.
David_W
Rising Star

The problem of having an English parliament is money.  An English parliament would want *all* taxes raised in England to be spent only in England, by them, it would be politically expedient for any party to promise "English Taxes for English parliament!" and gain a majority which means less funds going to Wales/Scotland.  As it is now, Parliament dishes out the dosh between the home countries.
Yes, it's very unfair that Scottish MP's are allowed to vote on issues not relating to Scotland at all (the smoking ban for instance would not have passed if Scottish MP's were prevented from voting).  There does need to be reform but more along the lines of preventing MP's from voting on issues which will not effect their country, so a Scottish MP would be unable to vote on a measure for England/Wales, only on issues which affect the entire United Kingdom.
Community Veteran

The so called "Parliament" we have here in NI is nothing more than an overpaid bunch of school children who spend all their time blaming each other for everything that goes wrong. It is more of a stage show for the outside world to show "progress" than anything else. If you were to put questions about the economy etc. to any of them they wouldn't know what to say. Not exactly much to be envious off.