cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

electoral reform moves forwards

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

electoral reform moves forwards

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/legal-and-constitutional/parliament-gears-up-for-final-av-tussle-$213...
One scheme I was reading:-
When the Election is held and a constituency’s votes are totalled.
If the Total of all the votes (including destroyed ballot papers) is less than 50% of the electorate for that constituency (i.e. less than half the electorate voted), no MP goes forward to Parliament for that constituency

jim:green link fixed mod:end
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: electoral reform moves forwards

In a true democracy we need to be in the yes camp on this one, unfortunately if approved it's likely to end up with no party having a majority and some MPs being appointed who were a second or third choice (or even further down the list) so to avoid this we need to be in the no camp.
Personally I doubt it will get through and is only being put forward to keep the Lib/Dems happy but I doubt any of the other parties are in Favour.
Community Veteran

I'd have preferred to see a PR top up system, probably based on the Euro constituencies. That way the person with the most votes in each constituency gets in - but then extra MPs get elected to reflect the proportions of the total votes for the parties across the Euro constituency. You'd have to increase the constituency size to keep the overall number of MPs the same.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

AV is a non starter IMO.  If it makes it to the ballot paper I think the electorate will reject it.
tinto
Grafter

We already have a form of the AV system for elections to the Scottish parliament, and a right rowlocks it is.  it was specifically designed to prevent any single party having an overall majority, and resulted in the first instance in a Labour /Liberal Democrat coalition, and then the  current  minority SNP government after they won one more seat than Labour, but were unable to persuade any other party to join them in a coalition.  Neither government was entirely satisfactory or successful.  Our parliaments are fixed term, and the next elections are due on the date Mr Clegg wants to hold the AV referendum, one of the reasons Labour peers tried to talk it out of time, as there are real fears that it will clog up an already complicated voting system.  I can't recommend it to anyone, and would advise to stick with the current first past the post system, though I'd have thought the current Westminster coalition making up policy on the hoof would be enough to deter anyone from change     
Community Veteran

Quote from: tinto
Neither government was entirely satisfactory or successful.

Look at it another way: neither government was as unsuccessful as it might have been if one set of loonys party had been able to do whatever they wanted without real opposition.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

I see that the blurb suggests that there will be only 5 candidates on the form and that the voter has to select  them in order of preference.. If this is so then there will be only one form sent out at election time. What happens if there are more or less than 5 candidates? if it has to cover a different nuimber of candidates tailored to each constiuency, then it will be complicated and very expensive to administer.  It also does not say if you have to select all 5 (or whatever) or can you chose any nmber you fancy?
The evidence from Scotaland suggeste that it is not a good idea. I do not know what the view is in Oz and will ask.