Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBook readers only...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

eBook readers only...

I must get out more...
Since owning my Kindle reader which I've commented many times that I thought I wouldn't like at all but am now deeply in love with. I wonder what to do with my burgeoning library of elderly paper back novels, most of which are available on Kindle. I have many other technical and non-fiction books that I wouldn't even think of disposing of but...
What about the paper backs? I keep looking at them but can't quite bring myself to get rid of them Sad
Its not as if I couldn't make use of the room they would leave (or more precisely SWMBO has designs on it) any other eBook reader in the same dilemma?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: eBook readers only...

no.  all the books i have i am keeping and the e-books are all those i don't have on shelves.  wouldn't dream of parting with me pratchetts.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I am in much the same position (as both of you  Grin My HB collection I will not be parting with including my TP collection) but I have MANY book cases full of paperbacks that I need to get rid off. Much the same as I got rid of my video collection earlier this year.
I am thinking car boot next year and see if I can shift some of them, more to the animal charity shops locally and after that ?Huh
I have only read 3 paper books since I got my e-reader over 2 years ago now. Most of my favourites I have managed to get in ebook form and I find it easier to read it on the ereader than in book form, I don't need to remember the page number, it switches on to the last read page, and physically it is easier to use and carry than a hard back book (or a large/thick paper back).
I think my DVD collection will be next (about 200 of them, I am sure they breed  Sad) as I have all mine stored/watched via a media player. Not used the DVD player for a couple of years now.
David_W
Rising Star

Maybe I'm weird, but I started to read an E-Book (TP too oddly!) and loved the first chapter so much (Tiffany Aching series) that I went out and bought the paper back.  Eventually read all 3 so looked around for the 4th and found the limited edition Amazon version (only 2,500 printed, in a lovely blue case and everything) which was around £25 I think.  The value has gone through the roof, it's now worth £80!
I did use my android however to catch up on Asimov, can't think of the series, umm...  the Seldon saga, it's amazing how much that series changed, it starts off with everyone smoking then the final ones are wrote (in the 80's) and no one smokes.
I'll stick to hardback for new novels though (like Snuff), I don't read much anymore so the initial investment would be a big loss for me.
Community Veteran

Quote from: David
I don't read much anymore so the initial investment would be a big loss for me.

Thats what I wondered when I first got mine. (It was £150 then) but the savings on books ( Lips are sealed) over the past 2 years has made up for the cost. Though I do tend to read several a week  Lips are sealed
Only issue I have with mine is the battery is starting to fail now, drops to 50% quite quickly (about a week instead of two) but replacement batteries are available for <£10  Cheesy (For when it finally gives in)
Community Veteran

I got my kindle for when I am overseas on construction sites and for the flights with 3G so i can download wherever I am  Cool
But people will buy me Waterstone's gift cards  Roll eyes
so i am stuck with paper. I complained last time I was in there that the industry doesn't have a commom format for e-books but the answer I got was they are soon to bring out their own e-reader  Roll eyes
Then there is the library, our local village is fighting closure so i read library books  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

@ Hairy, your battery life....you haven't accidentally left it in "wireless on" mode?  This will drain the battery very quickly. Mine gets used for a couple of hours every day, the battery lasts at least a couple of months or more between charges.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

My PRS-505 has no wi-fi. It is usb/card only. So nothing to leave on  Wink
As it is over 2 years old, and having been used for (up to) 4-6 hours a day the battery hasn't done badly. I don't (anymore) know anyone who still has one of these, so can't compare battery life after a couple of years. (My mate who bought his a year before me, has sadly passed on)
Mand
Grafter

I'm in the same position. I have several hundred paperbacks I won't read again, and my daughter has designs on the spare room so I'm under pressure to get rid.
I've been wondering if it would be worth the hassle of putting some of the newer/more popular/more expensive ones on ebay but don't know if I have the patience Cheesy
Community Veteran

I doubt it Mand. You may be better off checking if some are still in print, doubt that you would barely recoup you postage costs, you'd be better off giving them to a charity shop, bearing in mind charities are usually inundated with discarded paper backs.
However, if you have some out-of-prints you may make a bob or two but don't hold your breath. Out-of-print hardbacks (in good condition) are another story and may be very saleable.
But realistically, its bonfire night in a couple of weeks.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

think of the pollution, no put it in the recycle bin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If you have Amazon gift vouchers can these be used to purchase e-books for the Kindle ?
Don't recall seeing a box for the voucher code when purchasing e-books from Amazon but I may have missed it.