cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay issue - what would you do ?

Community Veteran

eBay issue - what would you do ?

So the story goes .....
Spotted a couple of boxes (10 panels)  of brand new Samsung LCD panels. Ideal for what I wanted to do - a 3x3 wall matrix with a spare.
Had a chat with the seller, responded quickly and we agreed on £18 for a courier.
A week later, screens hadn't turned up. A little worrying as I was going away the next week on holiday.
Chased the seller and they finally managed to send them a couple of days before I went away. Purchased and paid for on the 30th June, received on the 13th July !
So I unboxed them. Immediately I noticed they weren't new. They had service tags on, adhesive and tape from where the cables had been and obviously had been removed from monitors at some point. There were 8 Samsung panels and two other brand panels.
On testing them, all but two of the panels had dead or stuck pixels and one panel was totally dead.
Emailed the seller that day but didn't get a reply within 48 hours so escalated it to eBay, the seller had until today to respond which he did via eBay email late last night offering £15 to settle it all. I've told him (and eBay) that as they weren't as described (10 new Samsung panels) that I'd rather have a full refund.
Thoughts ? There are 9 usable screens but most with defects and not new. I'm just a bit annoyed with the seller that they are not as described and they have dragged their heels on every part of the transaction from the start Sad
15 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: eBay issue - what would you do ?

I would of on opening the boxes and realising they were not as expected have reviewed the item page to ensure I hadn't made a mistake (some sellers advertise things as new and then in the small print mention they are refurbished or graded products), raise a resolution case with ebay and request full refund for products significantly not as described (i.e. clearly used ) refuse any such offer from the seller and demand they recover the items at there own expense via eBay's escalation on the ground s they fraudulently advertised with misrepresentation and as such should foot the bill for an expenses related to the sale incurred by me (I.e the delivery cost) the seller will probably offer a significant sum to offset the difference and close the case quickly possibly even offering to let you keep the substandard products just to get things closed and allow them to continue trading, if that's the case you get a big refund and get the items and can offer a 5 star rateing for good comms etc
but that's just me and I wont let myself get done over Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Thunderclap
Grafter

If your items are not as described - I assume you mean NEW - envoke the rules and burn the seller.
Get PayPal to refund your money.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Fully agree with suggestions made.
To state an item is new when it is not is fraud. I Once bought a DVD that was clearly a fake off eBay, on reporting the matter my money was quickly refunded and advert removed from the eBay site.
Do not enter into any negotiation demand your money back
Community Veteran

Cheers guys - just checking I wasn't over reacting !
On a plus note I've just returned with a car full of other LCD screens (48 of them !)
Described as "haven't got a clue if they work or not" which is good enough for me lol.
Community Veteran

I agree with Thunderclap. Get Paypal to give you a full refund.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I once had a phone call from the Managing Director of a Hedge Fund based just off Park Lane. I'd built and equipped their trading floor, six screens per person and trading phone system. The call was at 7 am on a Sunday morning. The reason for the call was their Georgian building had been broken into and all of their LCD trading screens stolen. The thieves used wire cutters to disconnect the screens. His question was - "Can you get us back into business for 7 am tomorrow (Monday)?"  We did, but since then I always ask for documentation as to the origin of screens if they are offered to me.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

These are bare panels but I know what you mean - some of the stuff traded on eBay could quite possibly have come from dubious sources !
Community Veteran

Quick update, rejected the offer from the seller of £15 on the 21st (start of this thread)
Heard nothing back
Took some pictures and popped them on the dispute case about 10 minutes ago, hit the "escalate dispute to Customer Services" button and 5 minutes later had a full refund into my Paypal account.
I'll email the seller giving them 14 days to arrange collection before I dispose of the items.
Community Veteran

@DomS, that's a good result. Thanks for the update Smiley
WTF
Grafter

You probably ought to at least copy PayPal/eBay in on the e-mail regarding disposal of the screens given they are technically their property now  Wink
Community Veteran

Paypal / eBay will claim the money back from the seller if he has the funds.
Technically the seller will then own the items but I feel that 14 days is more than enough time to let them collect if they so desire. As they are quite bulky items I'm not prepared to hang on to them for longer than that and will end up using them anyway (for a different purpose) if the seller doesn't want them any more.
Thunderclap
Grafter

Quote from: DomS
Took some pictures and popped them on the dispute case about 10 minutes ago, hit the "escalate dispute to Customer Services" button and 5 minutes later had a full refund into my Paypal account.

Now that's what I call a result.
Maybe there's other issues with this seller which is why the refund was so fast?
WTF
Grafter

Quote from: DomS
Paypal / eBay will claim the money back from the seller if he has the funds

They will try, certainly.  Until they receive a refund from the seller however, the panels are their property.
If the seller were to refuse to pay - which seems quite likely - then ebay / PayPal would be entitled to sell the items in order to minimise their loss.  In fact, it's their feduciary duty to do that unless the anticipated costs are greater than the anticipated revenue.
Of course, it probably isn't worth them selling, but to safeguard you're legal position, you need to at least inform them about what your intend to do with their property.  It's also likely that a company of that size will require more than 14 days to make a decision.
Thunderclap
Grafter

This from What Consumer
http://whatconsumer.co.uk/returns-and-refunds
What applies to you is underlined.
Returning the goods
Unless you are required to return the goods, and you were informed of this, your only obligations are to make the goods available for collection and to take reasonable care of them while they are in your possession. This is called a duty of care. Where the supplier has made provision to collect the goods, this duty of care expires after 21 days, but where you have agreed to return the goods, your duty of care continues until you do this and could be for as long as 6 months.

In otherwords, if they have arranged to collect it and do not do so after three weeks, you can dump their stuff in the crusher because you're no longer required to look after it! The interesting thing is the seller has made no such arrangement for collection, yet. So maybe you will need clarify with eBay just how much time the seller has, to be sucking their teeth?
The relationship between the seller and PayPal/eBay is none of your concern.